S6 completely died (temporarily)

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Battery charged to 82%, sent a text, set the phone down, picked it up five minutes later and completely black screen, unresponsive with power button held down for 10 seconds. Googled and saw to press the down arrow, power and home at the same time. Got a screen that said something about a warning regarding installing a new OS and to press down arrow to cancel and restart phone. I did that and it rebooted and is fine now. WHAT IN THE WORLD?! Anyone heard of this? One more time and I'll be having them give me a replacement.

Also, I upgraded to 5.0.2 last week. I see no difference on anything. Was so hopeful it would extend the battery life because I am extremely disappointed in that. I don't watch videos, listen to music. I make calls, text and use the browser on occasion. It's barely better than my S3!!!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Battery charged to 82%, sent a text, set the phone down, picked it up five minutes later and completely black screen, unresponsive with power button held down for 10 seconds. Googled and saw to press the down arrow, power and home at the same time. Got a screen that said something about a warning regarding installing a new OS and to press down arrow to cancel and restart phone. I did that and it rebooted and is fine now. WHAT IN THE WORLD?! Anyone heard of this? One more time and I'll be having them give me a replacement.

Also, I upgraded to 5.0.2 last week. I see no difference on anything. Was so hopeful it would extend the battery life because I am extremely disappointed in that. I don't watch videos, listen to music. I make calls, text and use the browser on occasion. It's barely better than my S3!!!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

It was probably a carrier patch. Future updates should help.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I actually got this issue last week a couple of days after I accepted Verizon's OTA. I was listening to music over bluetooth, paused the song, and when I went back to resume it, I noticed the phone shut off. The charge was somewhere around 70-90%. I didn't get a warning message though after I got it to power on again.

ymmy

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
This is very famous Android black screen of death issue, can be fixed temporarily by battery pull or Power+Volume down buttons.

Last edited:

wezzyd

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I had the exact same thing. Woke up to it. Kinda worried me too but got to that screen and just pressed volume down, power and home again and phone back on now. Never had this before with other phones

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Try clearing the cache partition. It might not be a bad idea especially if your carrier (which one?) pushed out an update.

kide#WN

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue three weeks ago with 64 GB S6. I'm on AT&T. I usually clean cash weekly, so the memory wasn't an issue. Hope it will be fixed soon.

irok2000

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the S6 from Verizon.....mine has done this on 4 different occasions. There is no rhyme or reason to it, it is just dead.
I do the four button hold and reset the unit. A couple times I accidentally wiped the phone....not fun. Luckily everything was backed up in the Cloud.
From my research, it is a bad phone. Even Samsung said to have provider replace it. I just don't want a refurbished phone. It could have the same problem.......or worse.

agsags

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
this has happened to me on my 5-day old phone. flushing cache, soft reboots, and multiple factory resets have not solved the problem. I am returning the phone to Best buy for a replacement.

TeeAnn

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Luckily, mine has not done it again but I really hope it doesn't. All of these posters saying they hard reset or replaced their phone. I really, really don't want to start over with a whole new phone and take the time to get all of my settings and everything like I want them again. That's a big deal to me! I'm going to try very hard not to do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38