Is there a limit to S6 video length?

JohnGSparks

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
S6 Video length

Does anyone know if there is a limit to length of videos on the S6? I need to take a 90min video. If there is, is there any way around it?

Thanks

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Re: S6 Video length

Does anyone know if there is a limit to length of videos on the S6? I need to take a 90min video. If there is, is there any way around it?

Thanks

Having only recorded a few videos for a few minutes at any one time I couldn't possibly comment on recording a video for 90 minutes, but if I were to record a video for 90 minutes I would want to make sure I had a 100% battery, close by charger, screen brightness turned right down, shoot in a lower resolution, as much space as possible available on your phone. The only way you are going to find out is by trying it out.

Let us know if it works, out of curiosity, what are you shooting for 90 minutes, not a cinema movie I hope lol?

JohnGSparks

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site

Hi there

Recording our House Concert performance - one of the three video cameras I am using to get multi camera setup. Problem is I cannot touch it as I am playing - it is fixed and hopefully will record the whole thing. Suppose I can just leave it on for 90 mins filming the ceiling to see!!

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

Hi there

Recording our House Concert performance - one of the three video cameras I am using to get multi camera setup. Problem is I cannot touch it as I am playing - it is fixed and hopefully will record the whole thing. Suppose I can just leave it on for 90 mins filming the ceiling to see!!

Lol yeah, or stick the phone on your window ledge and record the clouds for 90 minutes and create a time lapse video :)

good luck with the performance and filming :)

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site

I know that when filming in 4k the limit is five minutes as it shows you that on the screen while recording. When recording 1080 at both 30 and 60 fps it shows no such limit. I seem to remember a similar thread when I had my s4, and I feel like answer was that it would record until you ran out of space, battery, or the device started to overheat.

Personally I'd test recording for 90 minutes at 1080 30fps just to be sure.

Posted via the Android Central App

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

There is a limit on all cameras, including. DSLR and depends on resolution. 4K have a 5min limit and to prevent the phony overheat, also storage space issues.

SM-G920F with Tapatalk

GamingMill

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
The overheating stuff you posted is pure rubbish. The 5 minute limit is purely down to the fact that the storage medium is formatted as FAT32, thereby limiting maximum file sizes to just slightly over 4GB.

freevobs

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I've got the same problem but on s7. The card is formatted exFat but the file size limit is 3GB, that when filming at 4K is around 5 minutes. I would like very much to overcome this situation. Anyone knows a workaround?
Thanks

GamingMill

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I've got the same problem but on s7. The card is formatted exFat but the file size limit is 3GB, that when filming at 4K is around 5 minutes. I would like very much to overcome this situation. Anyone knows a workaround?
Thanks

Hmm...interesting. I've got an S7 Edge running Android 6.0.1 and my card is formatted FAT. However, the maximum file size is 4GB but when I'm recording in 4K it continues recording, no five minute limit - it just breaks the movie into separate 4GB files which I then have to edit back together in one big file on my computer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I believe it's an Android limitation. The video filesize is limited to 4 GB, even if it's saving to Internal Storage (which is ext4, I think). In discussions I've had with other Ambassadors, we agree it is likely due to legacy code.

A 4 GB video in 1080p is about 30 minutes, if I recall correctly.