My S6 screen randomly turns on and refuses to time out by itself. Has anyone experienced this?

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
My S6 screen randomly turns on and refuses to time out by itself.

Does anyone else have a bug where their screen randomly turns on and refuses to go off unless you press the power button?

My S6 is on 5.0.2 (No 5.1.1 for the international S6 yet) and this happens when there's no charger plugged in and no new notification. No case on it or anything pressing against the power button. Its definitely a software related bug. It happens randomly maybe twice or thrice a day but I've only noticed it in the past 2 days. Its happened almost 10 times so far including thrice in the past 4 hours.

My main concern is screen burn on the Amoled (happened to one of my Lumia's and the huge battery drain if I don't notice that its turned on.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: My S6 screen randomly turns on and refuses to time out by itself.

Welcome to the AC Forums.

Do you have a screen wake up gesture enabled? Is your timeout set to never?

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

No wake gestures. Timeout is set to 15 seconds and it does time out after 15 seconds except in the case where it wakes up by itself. I managed to reduce the screen staying on to around 5 minutes by turning on smartstay but this is VERY annoying.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

No wake gestures. Timeout is set to 15 seconds and it does time out after 15 seconds except in the case where it wakes up by itself. I managed to reduce the screen staying on to around 5 minutes by turning on smartstay but this is VERY annoying.

Reboot your device.

Volume down rocker+home button+power button.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Done multiple times. I'm not new to android :p I've tried every possible thing apart from resetting which I refuse to do. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced anything similar.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Done multiple times. I'm not new to android :p I've tried every possible thing apart from resetting which I refuse to do. Just wanted to know if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Nobody likes doing it. Reset might be a pain. Back up everything and try it. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Jim Caldwell1

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

I have experienced this and other anomolies. Turns out they were caused by the "no lock" apps I had tried to prevent lock screen. (Too lazy to swipe). They worked, but didn't play well with Lolipop. They also gave me problems on my previous phone when it got the lolipop update.

Posted via the Android Central App

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Its cool, thanks! And yeah I will as a last resort if its the only thing that helps but I reallllllyyyyy do not want to re-download 20 Gigs worth of apps on a 512 Kb/s connection.

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Managed to solve it without hard reset. I turned on safe mode (Power off then Power on while pressing the volume down button) I did this to isolate the problem and see if it really was an app. Phone screen behaved well and did not turn on at all in the half a day that it was on Safe Mode. Turned it off safemode once I was sure it was an app but I didnt really do anything after that. (Did not delete apps or hard reset) The problem now seems to have fixed itself after booting into safemode and back to normal mode. So far no random screen wakes. If it does begin again I shall just boot into safemode and back.

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I haven't experienced that issue. Resetting might be your only option as it seems that you've already tried the basics. Good luck.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I haven't experienced that issue. Resetting might be your only option as it seems that you've already tried the basics. Good luck.

Booting into safe mode and restarting seems to have solved the issue.

1garzaraul1

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site

Cool. Good to hear.
My galaxy s6 edge android running 5.0.2 had the same issue I put in safe mode then restarted it and it worked perfect but wondering if on your phone the apps installed on playstore where not on the pages anymore but still installed just disorganized???

1garzaraul1

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Its cool, thanks! And yeah I will as a last resort if its the only thing that helps but I reallllllyyyyy do not want to re-download 20 Gigs worth of apps on a 512 Kb/s connection.
My galaxy s6 edge android running 5.0.2 had the same issue I put in safe mode then restarted it and it worked perfect but wondering if on your phone the apps installed on playstore where not on the pages anymore but still installed just disorganized???

mkdon

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
ive been having this problem for over a week and its doing my nut in, iv tried goin into safe mode but it still wont lock and turns as soon as I press the power to so goes in lock mode. is there any more I can do before I am forced to do a factory reset?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz