Why has the screen on my Samsung S6 stopped working all together?

A

AC Question

the screen on my samsung s6 has stopped working all together

The screen on my samsung s6 has for no reason just stoped working. Ive tried turning it on and off but nothing happens although the blue light is still flashing constantly.

Can anyone help?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Re: the screen on my samsung s6 has stopped working all together

Have you tried holding down the battery for an extended amount of time (10+ seconds)? That simulates the old fashioned battery pull.

You could be running into what is called the 'Sleep of Death'..... sometimes, the phone's software kernel is unable to wake the phone out of deep sleep, so it kind of trudges on like a zombie... still running but unable to do anything.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Try holding volume down and the power button at the same time and waiting for 5 to 10s... that might be the right combo.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Thank you it worked but do you know why the phone does this ??
Well, it's a symptom really... The kernel isn't able to wake the phone up, basically. It's not all that common though, usually it happens to people using custom versions of Android (and a custom kernel).

If it happens once, no worries. If it happens a lot, then there could be something wrong.

gregdigi

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
Sooo, had a Galaxy S6 less than 6 mos when it suddenly went "dead" 4th of July weekend - no screen, no lights, would not receive calls, nada. Called Samsung service and they had me send it to their Plano, Texas service center and so was without a phone for about 2 weeks. Have had the returned phone a few weeks now and this morning it was "dead" !!! Not wanting to lose a phone for another 2 weeks, I checked the forum to see if this anyone else was having this problem. Found this thread, crossed my fingers and pressed the decrease volume and power button for about 10 secs and to my surprise a menu popped-up of the screen with options for a normal restart, safe-restart, factory reset, etc. Hit the normal restart option and the phone powered-up showing 35% battery left. Looks like it's working again while it's charging back to 100% and I'm beyond happy :D !!! Now I'm wondering:
- Could have used this technique last time and saved the inconvenience of losing my phone or 10 days?
- Would this technique work if the battery ran to 0%?
- Why wasn't the Samsung service tech aware of this?
In the meantime THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sooo, had a Galaxy S6 less than 6 mos when it suddenly went "dead" 4th of July weekend - no screen, no lights, would not receive calls, nada. Called Samsung service and they had me send it to their Plano, Texas service center and so was without a phone for about 2 weeks. Have had the returned phone a few weeks now and this morning it was "dead" !!! Not wanting to lose a phone for another 2 weeks, I checked the forum to see if this anyone else was having this problem. Found this thread, crossed my fingers and pressed the decrease volume and power button for about 10 secs and to my surprise a menu popped-up of the screen with options for a normal restart, safe-restart, factory reset, etc. Hit the normal restart option and the phone powered-up showing 35% battery left. Looks like it's working again while it's charging back to 100% and I'm beyond happy :D !!! Now I'm wondering:
- Could have used this technique last time and saved the inconvenience of losing my phone or 10 days?
- Would this technique work if the battery ran to 0%?
- Why wasn't the Samsung service tech aware of this?
In the meantime THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

It could have possibly saved you from sending it in, but that is thr past so lets not worry about it.

Pop it on thr charger and it should work just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

maeldune

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I was charging my S6 Galaxy while it was on and online at home. After about an hour or so I went to check it but the screen was black. It wouldn't turn off or on and was completely unresponsive to anything I tried. Then I tried pressing the on/off button at the same time as "down" volume button, and holding them both for a few seconds. This seemed to have fixed it and the screen reverted to the off mode with green charging image in the centre.

Andra_Bea

May 12, 2016
Visit site

had the same problem this evening... my phone stopped working. the screen was on but nothing was working. I did the combo u said and it worked,. thank you

Hosein Eibpoosh

Jun 10, 2016
Visit site

Hello everyone, I know the thread is old but it would be really helpful to get a response:
so i was just watching the screen of my S6 (literally just watching! i wasnt doing anything with it! no movies no songs NOTHING) and suddenly the screen just died! Now it happened a few days ago and pushing the vol down and power at the same time solved the issue then. I tried it again, no luck this time! tried vol up + power + home => didn't show anything (couldnt wipe the catch)
now the weird thing is that the phone is actually working! the gsm doesn't work but touch is fine, finger print works, vol keys work, speaker works, vibrator works (when i put the phone on Silent via the vol keys the phone vibrates)
now when i push vol down and power at the same time the phone vibrates (it restarts) but there's nothing on the screen.
guys i really really need to fix it myself i don't trust the warranty company (a third party) unless the screen is broken. Now...is the screen broken or it's software failure?

Nandre Aranha

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried holding down the battery for an extended amount of time (10+ seconds)? That simulates the old fashioned battery pull.

You could be running into what is called the 'Sleep of Death'..... sometimes, the phone's software kernel is unable to wake the phone out of deep sleep, so it kind of trudges on like a zombie... still running but unable to do anything.

I have had the same problem. At the begginer I did as the guys told here. But after a while come again and again , and stronger than before. The Sumsung in Brazil did not help me because my phone belongs to EU zone.

I am writing because now it happens again and I do not know what I can do to stop it...

Please anyone can help me?

I forgot to say. I have one Samsung S6

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool