What is the protection difference between the Defender and Commuter?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I never owned a commuter, always bought Otterbox Defenders but was wondering is there a huge difference protection wise when it comes to protection like dropping your phone in the parking lot?

I mean if you dropped it out of your pocket and it landed on the pavement with the Commuter would it still protect the phone?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I never owned a commuter, always bought Otterbox Defenders but was wondering is there a huge difference protection wise when it comes to protection like dropping your phone in the parking lot?

I mean if you dropped it out of your pocket and it landed on the pavement with the Commuter would it still protect the phone?

You should be fine with either one. The Commuter has the polycarbonate shell layer on the outside and doesn't provide a lot of traction or grip. I believe that it is a bit slimmer. Having used both, I am more comfortable with the Defender.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

ziggster

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As a matter of preference I have always considered the Defender a little too bulky. I have had Commuters on my HTC Hero, Galaxy S3,4,5 and 6. I have dropped them all and never cracked a screen. That said, mine always rides in the cup holder as they are slick on a smooth surface.

(I probably just insured that I will shatter my phone today!)

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You should be fine with either one. The Commuter has the polycarbonate shell layer on the outside and doesn't provide a lot of traction or grip. I believe that it is a bit slimmer. Having used both, I am more comfortable with the Defender.

I think I'll stick with the defender too. The commuter for the s6 the rubber looks like it is loose on the sides since the plastic shell isn't as long as in past ones. I've seen someone people complaining about the rubber becoming loose on the commuter over time.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
As a matter of preference I have always considered the Defender a little too bulky. I have had Commuters on my HTC Hero, Galaxy S3,4,5 and 6. I have dropped them all and never cracked a screen. That said, mine always rides in the cup holder as they are slick on a smooth surface.

(I probably just insured that I will shatter my phone today!)

This iteration isn't the thinnest on the planet but it is definitely the slimmest in the years I have used them.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Someone at work has the shocksuit for the IPhone 5s and I looked at it. He says he's dropped his a few times. Anyways if it is the same as the S6 it's just so so then. The top part of his with the built in screen protector is really thin with no backing and it slips into it just like those one piece cases. Didn't look as good as Otterbox. Also what is this I hear about the S6 commuter the top parts on the sides wear loose?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37