How can I fix my S6 that has a black screen with an X on the screen?

A

AC Question

S6 black screen with a x on the screen..

Hey guys,

for about 15 minutes my Galaxy S6 smartphone won't respond. The screen isn't responding at all. There is just a small cross visible on the right side... Which is really really weird... I tried to restart the phone with the volume down and power button... But it restarted (I guess, as the Samsung Logo appeared) but it went back to the non respond behaviour. I'm really hopeless right now... Because I'm afraid that I won't get it back to work. I hope there is a fix for this... Gosh.

If it's important... The last app I used was Skype. And I think it was still open (Just the chat).

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: S6 black screen with a x on the screen..

Hey guys... It's me. I just signed up to update my situation with my S6.

So basically. Suddenly my S6 worked again and asked for my pin. Which is really weird... I basically restarted the phone with the power, home and volume down button. But even then the screen stayed black with the x symbol...

And now the black screen returned with that x symbol. I don't know what the hell is going on with that phone. Before I made a backup from the whole files on the phone... So yeah if somehow the black screen goes away again, I will formate the whole thing...

Any ideas/suggestions on why this is happening? Or how it goes away? It makes me really angry...

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
So guys... I was holding the volume down, home and power button. A blue/green'ish screen appeared. To restart I had to push volume down. To download OC or whatever I had to push volume up. So I pushed volume up because down didn't help again... And now:

"Downloading...
Do not turn off target"

Again, still with the blue/green'ish background. I have no idea what or how the S6 is downloading...

Edit: Alright. I got out of it but the black screen with the x is still there... Gosh I'm about to throw that phone off the window... I have no idea why this is happening.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. FYI, it might take time for people to respond because not everybody reads stuff as soon as you post.

Id suggest wiping system cache. Thats the Volume UP button, home button and power button, look for an option to wipe system cache.
Also do some googling for what a red X might be. Thats something i have not heard of.

Worse case scenario you may need to wipe your device. If your in a hurry for an answer there you go. But if you can hold out a while longer maybe someone can chime in with something better.

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. FYI, it might take time for people to respond because not everybody reads stuff as soon as you post.

Id suggest wiping system cache. Thats the Volume UP button, home button and power button, look for an option to wipe system cache.
Also do some googling for what a red X might be. Thats something i have not heard of.

Worse case scenario you may need to wipe your device. If your in a hurry for an answer there you go. But if you can hold out a while longer maybe someone can chime in with something better.

First of all. Thank you for the reply. And yeah you're right. I'm just in a weird mood right now...

I tried it. Sadly, the phone doesn't react to it. Nothing happens. It just works with the volume down button (The restart and Odin thing...). It won't do it with the volume up button... I seriously don't get it...

It's not an issue for me if I have to wipe my device, because I made a back up when the S6 was working again for like 20 minutes...

Also, it's not a red x. It's just plain white x on the buttom right side of the screen...

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
So with it powered off, then holding volume UP, home button, and pressing power button, it does nothing?
Thats really weird because thats supposed to put it into recovery mode.
Similar to what your doing by pressing volume Down, its going into program mode for ODIN.

any background to the unit? is it new? used? modded or factory original?

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
So with it powered off, then holding volume UP, home button, and pressing power button, it does nothing?
Thats really weird because thats supposed to put it into recovery mode.
Similar to what your doing by pressing volume Down, its going into program mode for ODIN.

any background to the unit? is it new? used? modded or factory original?

The S6 isn't powered off. It is powered on, but just with the black screen and the small x. So yeah, the volume up, home and power button trick doesn't work... But the volume down etc. thing does. Although that doesn't really help with my issue, as restarting the phone doesn't solve the black screen issue.

Not sure if the phone needs to stay off. But I don't know how to turn the phone off...

My S6 was brand new when I bought it (Just a month ago). It was still sealed. It wasn't modded. Nothing was changed.

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Interestingly, the S6 just worked again. The screen went back to normal. But as soon as I wanted to turn off the smartphone (As I wanted to turn on the Recovery mode), the black screen with the x returned. Although the x now switched to the left side of the black screen. And a woman voice came on saying "Welcome to the configuration"... Something... Any clue on the issue now, maybe? I don't get it...

Here a pic...

20150624_235105.jpg

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It looks like you are in a weird hidden oem mode.

It will keep doing the same until you manage to turn it off and do the soft reset or enter into recovery or Odin Mode. Press and hold the power button until you see that the screen changes (turn off) immediately press and hold volume up, home and power buttons until the Android robot appears, if you try to do it in that screen (not off) it won't work, you are right on that. In the recovery mode you can wipe cache Partition or like you have mentioned wipe data/Factory Reset.

If you can't manage to get into recovery mode, but as you have mentioned can enter to Download/Odin Mode then enter in Download mode and connect it to your PC and use Smart Switch on your PC, look for Samsung Smart Switch for PC or Mac on Google and install it.

If for some reason that doesn't work either, then look over the Web, try XDA forums first, for a Stock firmware for your specific phone, look for latest Odin version and use it to flash the firmware you get.

Last edited:

truthless

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks erasat.

The phone finally went off due to it's low battery (Thankfully...). Now I wiped all the data on the phone. It worked! Now I'm re-configuring the phone. Hope it won't happen again!

meneerbakker

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Having similar issue since this weekend; whenever I connect a charger, I get this black screen with small cross. It appears whether the phone is off or on. It does not appear when I charge wireless, or charge via USB connected to computer. Any ideas? It's not sufficiently inconvenient to reset the device :)

Krys0beryl

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I plugged mine into a USB wall wart (not Samsung's) and have the same black screen with the white "X" in the corner. Tried rebooting, nothing, have you found anything that works?

Chuck Wade

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys... It's me. I just signed up to update my situation with my S6.

So basically. Suddenly my S6 worked again and asked for my pin. Which is really weird... I basically restarted the phone with the power, home and volume down button. But even then the screen stayed black with the x symbol...

And now the black screen returned with that x symbol. I don't know what the hell is going on with that phone. Before I made a backup from the whole files on the phone... So yeah if somehow the black screen goes away again, I will formate the whole thing...

Any ideas/suggestions on why this is happening? Or how it goes away? It makes me really angry...

This just happened to me and it took 4 hours for it to somehow right itself. I tried everything but nothing worked. When the phone magically came back on, the in use as we're samsung gear vr. Now thinking about it the woman's voice that came on when this happened said something about setting up the Samsung gear vr. Hope this helps or maybe someone from Samsung can fix this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCFCCrazy

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem too, tried allsorts and failed. Then I connected the phone to the Laptop using the USB cable and it righted itself immediately. May be a conincidence, but worth a go if it happens again.

dpancaps

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
greetings ya'll.

My phone has now done this twice. The first time happened and it magically recovered on its own, though it took about three hours of me leaving it by itself.
The second time is right now, and i'm struggling to get through it. Black screen, white x at bottom edge. wtf is this.

The only correlation I have found is this. Before this thing goes into this strange black screen, something called samsung Galaxy virtual app whatever is trying to install. I have no idea why this pops up, I never download it. This virtual app is a bright red install app. I always cancel out.

i can only speculate that this is some sort forced download from samsung that is bugging the phone out. No telling how long this is going to go on.

My symptoms are similar to everyone else though. Restarting no effect, safe mode no effect, and I refuse to wipe this phone for this nonsense.

dpancaps

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I did find this forum. It seems this is related to the GEAR VR app. but why ;/
forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/565638-can-i-get-some-help-samsung-galaxy-s6-gear-vr-issue-crash. html

dpancaps

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Okay gents. I have some answers from samsung, and they aren't great.

This issue is indeed caused by the Gear VR application. This is a mandatory download and installation from Samsung affecting all galaxy s6 phones. There is no way to beat the black screen white x issue that is known, but after a factory reset you can take the following steps to ensure this doesn't happen (statement from samsung, not me. Time will tell.)

Go to applications, all tab.
Find the gear vr apps, i had three. Force stop, clear cache, clear memory, and disable if you can. My phone could not disable these.
restart the phone using the hold volume down, and hold power method.

I know this isn't a real solution to when its happening right then and there too you, but its the best we have. When this happened to me, i was getting off an oil rig in the gulf of mexico. I couldn't factory reset my phone then and there because i needed to save important company documents. I had to go buy a road map like it was 1992. So friggen lame.

Amyburch

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine just did this. A voice came on as well. That's what lead me here to search for answers

This just happened to me and it took 4 hours for it to somehow right itself. I tried everything but nothing worked. When the phone magically came back on, the in use as we're samsung gear vr. Now thinking about it the woman's voice that came on when this happened said something about setting up the Samsung gear vr. Hope this helps or maybe someone from Samsung can fix this issue.

paria25

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

for about 15 minutes my Galaxy S6 smartphone won't respond. The screen isn't responding at all. There is just a small cross visible on the right side... Which is really really weird... I tried to restart the phone with the volume down and power button... But it restarted (I guess, as the Samsung Logo appeared) but it went back to the non respond behaviour. I'm really hopeless right now... Because I'm afraid that I won't get it back to work. I hope there is a fix for this... Gosh.

If it's important... The last app I used was Skype. And I think it was still open (Just the chat).

Hello
Is your problem solved?i have the same problem now and i dont know how to fix it :(
Can you please tell me how did you fix it?
I hate my black screen with a small cross on the left side under my phone :(
I have already formated my phone but the problem is back :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12