Right Side Button Stopped Working

diablostino

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Edit.. didn't realize it's "The Power Button," used to the power button being on top from my old iphone.. So, my power button stopped working.

Phone is great... when it works.

Samsung Galaxy S6 on Sprint, about 2 months old.

Power button on the right side stopped working, which meant that I couldn't turn the screen off, etc. Tried taking it to the Sprint store once, and the second the tech touched it it started working again. 24 hours later it stopped again, this time for good. Not that big of a deal but annoying.

A week later, I accidentally let the phone die overnight, and now have no way of turning it on. It's just a brick with a fully charged battery.

I'm getting a new one under the Sprint insurance program, but I have no way to get my contacts and data off the old phone with it unable to turn on. Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Didn't you sync your contacts with Google? You might even be able to plug your phone into your PC and use keys 3 to sync. You don't have to touch the phone to do that. If not, take both phones to a sprint store and they will hook it up to that new fangled machine that can pull your contacts and data.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
That sucks.
BTW, I create contacts in my personal email (I use Outlook.com) so no matter which phone I use, my contacts will always be there after I setup that email on the phone. Do not rely on local contacts as that will leave you with the need to "transfer" contacts every time you get a new phone and in your case, you might be out of luck if you can't turn your phone on.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Edit.. didn't realize it's "The Power Button," used to the power button being on top from my old iphone.. So, my power button stopped working.

Phone is great... when it works.

Samsung Galaxy S6 on Sprint, about 2 months old.

Power button on the right side stopped working, which meant that I couldn't turn the screen off, etc. Tried taking it to the Sprint store once, and the second the tech touched it it started working again. 24 hours later it stopped again, this time for good. Not that big of a deal but annoying.

A week later, I accidentally let the phone die overnight, and now have no way of turning it on. It's just a brick with a fully charged battery.

I'm getting a new one under the Sprint insurance program, but I have no way to get my contacts and data off the old phone with it unable to turn on. Does anyone have any ideas?

Welcome to Android Central!

You contacts should be stored on your Gmail. Try logging in to Gmail to see if they are there and also see if your photos are there. Most of the time when you set the phone up it asks you to set up the auto back up for photos. I would also take it to the Sprint store when the new one comes in. A tech should be able to get it to come on for you so you can transfer your info off of it.

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Just a quick suggestion. Are you actually pressing the home button and holding it for a few seconds? If you just tap the button and immediately release it the device won't power on. You have to hold it for a second or two. Could be why the guy at the store got it to work?

diablostino

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Didn't you sync your contacts with Google? You might even be able to plug your phone into your PC and use keys 3 to sync. You don't have to touch the phone to do that. If not, take both phones to a sprint store and they will hook it up to that new fangled machine that can pull your contacts and data.
No. I had only had the device for 2 months and was so busy so I never got around to syncing. User error but whatever. Keis 3 was unable to recognize my device. Sprint claimed that they had no such machine at that particular store.
That sucks.
BTW, I create contacts in my personal email (I use Outlook.com) so no matter which phone I use, my contacts will always be there after I setup that email on the phone. Do not rely on local contacts as that will leave you with the need to "transfer" contacts every time you get a new phone and in your case, you might be out of luck if you can't turn your phone on.
Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6
I'll do this in the future.
Welcome to Android Central!
You contacts should be stored on your Gmail. Try logging in to Gmail to see if they are there and also see if your photos are there. Most of the time when you set the phone up it asks you to set up the auto back up for photos. I would also take it to the Sprint store when the new one comes in. A tech should be able to get it to come on for you so you can transfer your info off of it.
They're not in Gmail because when entering them I stupidly decided to save them to the device, thinking that they would be stored on the SIM card. Tech had no such luck. Again, user error and laziness but still no excuse for a hardware failure.
Just a quick suggestion. Are you actually pressing the home button and holding it for a few seconds? If you just tap the button and immediately release it the device won't power on. You have to hold it for a second or two. Could be why the guy at the store got it to work
Yes. Repeatedly. Even tried holding down the power button and the lower volume button to restart. I think the guy at the store just got lucky.

Lesson learned, always back up to the cloud immediately, and email Samsung telling them that their devices should auto-restart once fully charged from dead, ala iphone.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
No. I had only had the device for 2 months and was so busy so I never got around to syncing. User error but whatever. Keis 3 was unable to recognize my device. Sprint claimed that they had no such machine at that particular store.

I'll do this in the future.

They're not in Gmail because when entering them I stupidly decided to save them to the device, thinking that they would be stored on the SIM card. Tech had no such luck. Again, user error and laziness but still no excuse for a hardware failure.

Yes. Repeatedly. Even tried holding down the power button and the lower volume button to restart. I think the guy at the store just got lucky.

Lesson learned, always back up to the cloud immediately, and email Samsung telling them that their devices should auto-restart once fully charged from dead, ala iphone.

WHAT?? The Sprint store at our mall here did it with my S6, Note4, Note 3, iPhone 6, and etc. Contacts and data. I have everything in the cloud but I let them do it....makes them feel.....special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech