Encrypting Samsung S6 - Good and Bad. How can I fix a loop I'm stuck in?

akpuggy

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Encrypting Samsung S6 - Good and Bad

I don't often set a password lock because I don't travel much with my phone, but I was thinking of putting an encryption on it so that I would at least have to enter a password when I reboot my phone once in a while.

1) I read that encryption adds some overhead and that the device will generally perform slower. Has anyone had any experience with this and is the speed difference actually noticeable?

2) Right before encrypting the device, it asks for the password to unlock. My worry is that I will also have to enter this password each time I turn off/on the screen. Is that true? Can I keep a passwordless swipe unlock and still have an encrypted device or an I now required to have a PIN or other screen unlock password?

Thanks!

Allan Preston

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Encrypting Samsung S6 - Good and Bad

I have encryption on mine, and aside from it talking a little longer to boot up or reboot, I've not noticed any degredation of speed on mine. However someone told me its not whole device encryption, its only an encryption of the user partitions, and that the system partitions remain unencrypted. If thats the case, then theres no reason it would slow the handset down.

jkayakj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I found that encryption does slow the phone down a bit ( it also depends what specific phone you're on) but unless you compare them side by side it won't influence the experience/ won't be noticeable.

Also Yea it will require a password for the lock screen but you can essentially avoid that though tinkering with the settings.

Android now has body detection where it won't lock when the phone senses movement (aka your pocket works) and it also has a time delay (aka 30 mins or so) of the screen off before it requires a password. So you should be able to have the password and rarely enter it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Allan Preston

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Encrypting Samsung S6 - Good and Bad

As to the other question, which I missed, I only have to unlock it with the password at boot or reboot time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty