Debranding

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Had S6 since launch and I'm thinking of debranding it. Im on EE in the UK and just wondered the firmware to get as I've never done it before!

Posted via the Android Central App

FiveOverEight

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
S4 here running Cyanogenmod 11. Best thing I ever did was to flash it. There's plenty of guide online for it but make sure you backup everything important to you before doing anything.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
He said in his first post? hes trying to debrand it and get rid of the EE apps/logo

He didn't mention anything in his first post as to why he wants to do it, which is why I asked the question, out of curiosity! also EE is a service provider, so even if the phone was rooted he would still be on EE.

Byron Hinson1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm not rooting. Debranding doesnt need rooting its just putting a official unbranded firmware on it with none of the EE guff on it. Also means quick update to latest software like 5.1.1

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not rooting. Debranding doesnt need rooting its just putting a official unbranded firmware on it with none of the EE guff on it. Also means quick update to latest software like 5.1.1

This sounds interesting :) so do you download a random firmware from, lets say SamMobile.com and install it on your phone?

tpence2177

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
From the way I understand it, if EE is like American carriers, some of those apps are required to run on their network. Especially for things like LTE and WiFi calling. That's why it can take so long for the different carriers to release their phones software, because they are having to do all of their little tweaks to make it run everything that is advertised. Some networks use their app to handle of the tweaking and such, so odds are if you try to run a different firmware that isn't your carriers it probable won't have all is the functionality that it does now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo