Should I try this to recover my phone?

fareastpanda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I got it in water :( and my s6 has been being weird and flashy along with my soft key lights. I factory reset but still acts weird.
I looked up a solution about Isopropyl 99% alchohol and thinking to take apart my phone. What parts should I not soak? Or is it fine to throw it in the alchohol with the battery?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

Rice has killed more phones than driving over them.

Put the entire phone into alcohol (70% is also fine), swish it around to get the alcohol to wash out all the impurities in the phone. (If you know how to take a phone apart, just wash each piece in alcohol separately and rub it gently with gauze while it's in the alcohol - that's how we did it in my shops [I'm retired now, but still fix phones once in a while].)

Do the wash, either way, with 3 fresh batches of alcohol.

Let it sit overnight. (No battery in it of course.) If you removed the battery quickly enough, and get it clean quickly enough, there shouldn't be any problem. (Read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet! to see what I mean by "fast enough" - you didn't, but you may still be able to save it.)

Rice works if you drop a phone into deionized distilled water. Very few people even know what that is, let alone have any to drop their phones into.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
If you don't feel comfortable with the above taking it apart and the rice doesn't work, insurance exchange assuming you purchased insurance when you got your device.

fareastpanda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! I'll try the alchohol method, is there any parts I shouldn't soak or touch? I don't got insurance so that's a X - fareastpanda

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've done the rice thing with laptop and tablets and it's worked for me. I'm not an electronics tech like tye guy above but it sounds like he knows what he's taking about. Good luck.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

fareastpanda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
It actually turned on ? But really glitchy and lights sort of flash, I'm gonna turn it off for now and still try the alchohol on it.