Why don't my Google contacts restore to a new device?

A

AC Question

Google contacts does not restore to new device

Hi all,

I just bought Samsung Galaxy S6 today replacing my just one month old LG G4. One funny thing about restoring contacts after device factory reset on the S6 is that the contacts restored are not from my my G4 it's from my older device, LG G2. So I lost some contacts which I added during my short ownership of my G4. My Android Device Manager shows that I have G4 on my device list, but when I tried to recover the contacts the S6 notifies me that I last updated 6 months ago... That cannot be right... As I just back up all my google account contacts just before I wipe my G4.

Any help is much appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google contacts does not restore to new device

Welcome to the forums. The only thing I can think of is the G4 was set to store contacts locally. If you know the contact, you can add them through Gmail on desktop.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

You can have a device listed in Android Device Manager and not have contacts sync enabled or sync enabled and ADM not enabled.. One doesn't really have anything to do with the other. Clearly, while you had the G4 you didn't have it set to save contacts to Google.

How did you backup contacts on the G4 before wiping it? Maybe the contacts can still be restored.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Midi_Amp

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site

Whoops, looks like I forgot to log in before I post the question... I was the one who asked the question.

I activated Google contact sync though and before I wipe the G4 I synced my contacts successfully to Google server (the report from the G4 google sync screen).

Clearly I'm fairly new to Android scene. Just recently switched to Android from Windows Phone (will be dearly missed). How to make sure that all my future contacts are properly backed up to Google server? Currently my S6 is found on ADM, I can locate, wipe and lock, so does that meant that ADM works fine?

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

Login to Gmail on a computer, and check your contacts there. This is also the place to enter any missing ones, or clean up your existing ones, as the interface is WAY easier to deal with. Make sure your phone is ONLY displaying your google contacts, and you can avoid the problem of accidentally saving them to the phone (tap MORE-SETTINGS-CONTACTS TO DISPLAY). Create a contact on the phone, and check on a PC to insure it shows up there if you are at all concerned you do not have it setup right.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

^^°°. What he said. If you save them to Google correctly, they will be in the online contacts of your Gmail account.

And yes, if you can locate, ring, lock and wipe your phone then Android Device Manager is working OK.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

little09

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

You have to sync back to gmail then all of your contacts lists be there then pick up another phone then u can get sync back to a newer phone and all of your recently contact lists will be show up. Not hard!

Posted via the Android Central App