What's new in 5.1.1 and some interesting Battery related stuff

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Check this article from sammobile. Besides the always interesting new features or changes that is described on it, there is a whole section related to a bug fixed that prevented the use of the Detail button in the Battery screen.

Read it well as it may be a very good tool to help on standby battery life, I already set most of my apps that I'm not interested on keep it running because of possible notifications or any other reason, to Auto Stop, this will auto stop that app after 10 minutes you stop using it. So I'll have a better idea soon, but so far it seems that's working as advertised, my standby time seems to be better now.

Read the article, certainly interesting and if it works, it may be a great tool for all of us but even more for those with standby drain and have tried the other possible solution that have been posted.

Let use this thread to discuss about it.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Not to sound stupid, but where is the battery optimization tab hidden?

Just forget about the way the author phrased that, just go to Settings, Battery and above the option at the bottom where you can turn on or off the Show Battery percentage option, you will find a Detail button, if you click that it will show you the new options that the article mentions.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but now I'm really feeling stupid. There are no buttons above or below the "display battery %". I have power saving mode off/on; ultra power saving mode off/on; Display battery percentage check box only; then comes the graph with battery left showing approximate time left, followed by a list of app showing their percentage of battery. I am on 5.0.2

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but now I'm really feeling stupid. There are no buttons above or below the "display battery %". I have power saving mode off/on; ultra power saving mode off/on; Display battery percentage check box only; then comes the graph with battery left showing approximate time left, followed by a list of app showing their percentage of battery. I am on 5.0.2

This feature is only on 5.1.1

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

^^+1

Yes, you forgot that the title of the thread is; What's new in 5.1.1... ;)

Anyways, once you finally gets your update, then you already know what to do, I must tell you that for me, so far so good, my Standby time has been a lot better than it was since the 5.1.1 update, so it seems to be doing its job.

emad1995

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hey erasat could you show a screen shot of which apps you auto stopped? You are a battery god and your optimizations have helped me increase my battery life :)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey erasat could you show a screen shot of which apps you auto stopped? You are a battery god and your optimizations have helped me increase my battery life :)

Sorry but where I am right now can't do screenshots, upload them and post them here, but I can tell you that I just went one by one, and all the apps that I don't need to be notifying me (Emails and messaging Apps) or running in the background (Nova and telstra and other similar ones) I applied the Auto Stop.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Now I really feel stupid and apologize for wasting the board's time, but in self-defense, reading the write up that was linked, one could assume that he was talking about the feature being present in 5.0.2 but not working regularly and that 5.1.1 just fixed it.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Meanwhile Telstra still aren't even testing 5.1.1 here in Australia. I don't get it. Other people have been talking about the model 902i getting the update so why isn't Telstra even testing is

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile Telstra still aren't even testing 5.1.1 here in Australia. I don't get it. Other people have been talking about the model 902i getting the update so why isn't Telstra even testing is

razza, I gave up waiting for Australia region to get the update, and you confirmed me that typically you are the last ones to get updates so I just downloaded India Firmware and flashed it with Odin, so now I have a SM-G920i but instead of XSA region, it's INU. Future OTA updates will come whenever India gets them, and this time they were the first ones, so no more Australian nightmare. ;)

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
razza, I gave up waiting for Australia region to get the update, and you confirmed me that typically you are the last ones to get updates so I just downloaded India Firmware and flashed it with Odin, so now I have a SM-G920i but instead of XSA region, it's INU. Future OTA updates will come whenever India gets them, and this time they were the first ones, so no more Australian nightmare. ;)

How did you do that? I am seriously considering doing that but I have no idea how to do so

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
How did you do that? I am seriously considering doing that but I have no idea how to do so

Well, all SM-G920i should have all the same hardware and radios, so no matter the region you choose, it should work without issues, obviously each region has its own bloatware and specific apps, but comparing the one that came with the Australian Firmware and the Indian one, both looks almost the same, the only thing I saw different, was that the Indian one came with kind of a Facebook shortcut and when you click on it it tries to download the app, but if yours is like mine that once I enter my Google credentials and restored from my Smart switch backup, downloaded all my apps, then it will be like duplicated, so what I did was stopped that one and then looked for it on the application manager and uninstalled it, the specific name appears when you long click on it while in the notification bar.

About how to do that, check at my post over here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/554220-galaxy-s6-unlocked-sm-g920f-ota-update-north-america.html#post4552749, BUT, don't download firmware from the link I provided there, that's for a different S6 variant, the f, if you do that you may brick your phone, yours and mine, the i, must use files from this, link. But besides what you will read there about if you must reset or not, let me save you some time with this summary;

If you don't mind having a phone that shows multiple CSC (Regions) and possibly won't get an OTA in the future and you will need to do them manually by flashing via Odin, then you don't need to reset, you just flash the firmware file with Odin and according to some people that have verified this, you won't even lose your data, everything will be as it is right now but with 5.1.1 and deep in the settings your phone will show multiple regions, even when it doesn't seem to affect anything, everything runs normal, like I said, only possible side effect will be not being able to download future OTA updates because of a possible firmware/csc conflicts.

If you are as OCD as me or simply want to be sure that everything will run as expected, but with a different region's firmware, just follow the instructions I posted on that thread, be sure to reset before the flash and right after flashing it, do a wipe cache partition and a Wipe data/full reset, then set everything back and restore from your backup that you SHOULD do, trust me it will save you a lot of time.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, all SM-G920i should have all the same hardware and radios, so no matter the region you choose, it should work without issues, obviously each region has its own bloatware and specific apps, but comparing the one that came with the Australian Firmware and the Indian one, both looks almost the same, the only thing I saw different, was that the Indian one came with kind of a Facebook shortcut and when you click on it it tries to download the app, but if yours is like mine that once I enter my Google credentials and restored from my Smart switch backup, downloaded all my apps, then it will be like duplicated, so what I did was stopped that one and then looked for it on the application manager and uninstalled it, the specific name appears when you long click on it while in the notification bar.

About how to do that, check at my post over here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/554220-galaxy-s6-unlocked-sm-g920f-ota-update-north-america.html#post4552749, BUT, don't download firmware from the link I provided there, that's for a different S6 variant, the f, if you do that you may brick your phone, yours and mine, the i, must use files from this, link. But besides what you will read there about if you must reset or not, let me save you some time with this summary;

If you don't mind having a phone that shows multiple CSC (Regions) and possibly won't get an OTA in the future and you will need to do them manually by flashing via Odin, then you don't need to reset, you just flash the firmware file with Odin and according to some people that have verified this, you won't even lose your data, everything will be as it is right now but with 5.1.1 and deep in the settings your phone will show multiple regions, even when it doesn't seem to affect anything, everything runs normal, like I said, only possible side effect will be not being able to download future OTA updates because of a possible firmware/csc conflicts.

If you are as OCD as me or simply want to be sure that everything will run as expected, but with a different region's firmware, just follow the instructions I posted on that thread, be sure to reset before the flash and right after flashing it, do a wipe cache partition and a Wipe data/full reset, then set everything back and restore from your backup that you SHOULD do, trust me it will save you a lot of time.

There are two different Indian firmwares. Which one did you go with?

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
This one.

The instructions and link for Odin are below the Download links, if you haven't done this before, read them well.

Thank you so much Erasat. I'm feeling more and more like a geek recently being a beta tester for an app and also on the iOS9 beta lol. Is there any way to backup my phone other than using smart switch? I don't see any options on how to backup. Only to transfer data from one phone to another

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Thank you so much Erasat. I'm feeling more and more like a geek recently being a beta tester for an app and also on the iOS9 beta lol. Is there any way to backup my phone other than using smart switch? I don't see any options on how to backup. Only to transfer data from one phone to another

Look at this other thread, http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/514380-new-smart-switch-pc-mac.html, this is a full PC and MAC application where you can do full backups and other simple stuff. the backup is nothing similar to the iOS ones where basically you can create an Image of your phone and restore from it on a brand new phone, but this is the best you will get for a stock (no root) Samsung phone right now.

Last edited: