2 Issues with Galaxy S6 **Need Help**

Grant MacKay

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Have owned the S6 for a few months now and everything has been running great however in the course of a week, two separate (seemingly unrelated) issues have arose. The first issue is ads popping up on my home screen sometimes in app, home etc. this happens at roughly 10 - 15 minute intervals. They are large and state that they are provided by google. When clicking on the ad it takes you to the app in the google play store.

Screenshot_2015-07-18-23-17-28.jpg
The initial pop up ad.

Screenshot_2015-07-18-23-17-33.jpg
The application that is running it using the button in the bottom left of the phone.

I have tried deleting recent downloaded applications and have run AVG malware detection.

The second issue is around wi-fi connectivity. If i come home from work my internet will not work despite my laptop, PS4 and tv all connecting to the internet. It states that i need to log in-to the secured network. If i click on this notification it moves to a page where about one tenth of of the bar loads and sits there not doing anything else. There is then 3 dots in the top right hand corner, when i click on this and select login with network as is, it does nothing. If i then open a web browser it will not load anything at all. Where as 4G network loads immediately. I don't have any photos as the notification hasn't popped up since writing this post.

I live in Australia and am connected to the Telstra network. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello Grant, welcome to the forums at Android Central!

Your first problem seems to be software related. Maybe malware, or an application trying to sell you stuff.

I'm not sure what could be the source of your second problem.
Bad WiFi antennae, or something else.
Did you have this issue from the beginning?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Have owned the S6 for a few months now and everything has been running great however in the course of a week, two separate (seemingly unrelated) issues have arose. The first issue is ads popping up on my home screen sometimes in app, home etc. this happens at roughly 10 - 15 minute intervals. They are large and state that they are provided by google. When clicking on the ad it takes you to the app in the google play store.

View attachment 187519
The initial pop up ad.

View attachment 187520
The application that is running it using the button in the bottom left of the phone.

I have tried deleting recent downloaded applications and have run AVG malware detection.

The second issue is around wi-fi connectivity. If i come home from work my internet will not work despite my laptop, PS4 and tv all connecting to the internet. It states that i need to log in-to the secured network. If i click on this notification it moves to a page where about one tenth of of the bar loads and sits there not doing anything else. There is then 3 dots in the top right hand corner, when i click on this and select login with network as is, it does nothing. If i then open a web browser it will not load anything at all. Where as 4G network loads immediately. I don't have any photos as the notification hasn't popped up since writing this post.

I live in Australia and am connected to the Telstra network. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

An advise? Well I hate to tell you that you indeed have a malware and reading well the second issue seems somehow related to the malware too, I've had something similar but with a PC, so it's obvious you'll need to find a way to Uninstall that malware, so when it begins with the ads just click recent apps to see if by any chance you have an unwanted app there running, I highly doubt it but try that first.

Second, go to Settings-Application Manager and look for Running tab, check any app running there that look suspicious, I don't mean OS apps but most of the time you can clearly see a game or another free music or videos app that if you didn't open it, that may be the one causing you issues, just force stop it and Uninstall it.

If by any chance you can't find it or are not sure about which one is, look for the thread I created yesterday about What's new in 5.1.1... In there you'll find one of your fellow Australian Telstra user (razza1987) and you can always go that route and do what she did and flash another Region firmware to your Telstra device, that will provide you with the 5.1.1 version already so you don't need to be waiting for it anymore and be the last in the world to get it ;) but back to your issue, I'm talking you all this because if you don't find a way to fix the annoyance you'll need to factory reset your phone and of you are going to do that anyways, then you may do the other thing at the same time.

If you decide to reset, be very careful restoring all your apps, because one of them is your issue and if you install it back you'll have the same issues later again.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Great advice ^^ some where malware has made it onto your device. This is why I don't bother with anti-malware apps and similar. They don't seem to work very well at all and can leave people very mislead thinking their phone isn't infected.

Again, I'd suggest to do what erasat said. A factory reset will get rid of your problem 100% for sure if you can not find the app that is the culprit.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay