Battery has me already looking into the next round of phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Anyway to respond to the rest, 30% is still a pretty significant concession to make unless your use is mostly indoors in dim lighting. It also tends to make the display less vibrant. I understand that those conditions are something you've stated you prefer otherwise you get headaches, but that doesn't apply to the norm. Therefore my prior statement still stands. A couple of you keep defending methods of making compromises as one poster just recently put it, "these are things you must do with Android phones" (I'm paraphrasing). I disagree with that blanket statement. It would be far more accurate if he had stated "these are things you must do with certain Android phones with questionable battery life".

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. Android phones using current battery tech are simply not ready for great battery life if they're sporting qhd displays and the most recent OS version. Until new battery hardware gets introduced, and Google learns how to combat the persistent battery drain gremlins in 5.xx I will at least attempt to stay with 1080p models if they continue to be available.

It was me who said that and I really don't understand you when you say that I need to say that it's only for some devices but then say that Android devices using current battery tech are not ready for great battery life if using qHD displays. If you do some tweaks uninstalling bloatware and disabling unused services and apps that most android devices and ALL Carrier's models come with, you may get great battery life.

Buying a S6 with 2550 mAh battery and a S6 Edge with 2600 mAh battery with a qHD display and pretending to get Great battery life without any tweaks is simply impossible, again, some tweaks must be done, tweaks not compromises, big difference. That is one of the simple thing you should know before buying a device, complaining after buying it just say that you didn't do your homework before buying.

BUT again, today I received my S6 active, a 5.1 qHD display with the best battery life on any Android Device right now, and according to some articles I've seen even better than the 6+. So yes, they are devices with this displays with great battery life, and even better with the normal intelligent tweaks mentioned above.

Imagine if I think that the S6 is the best Android device right now that after 10 android phones in the last year, from Motorola, Sony, LG, OnePlus, HTC and Samsung, I currently have 3 S6, a day one S6 Edge, Unlocked International Blue Topaz S6, and a brand new White camo S6 active. Best 3 phones I've ever owned.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Seems odd that people are having such different experiences with battery life. Could it be a carrier specific problem?

its not odd at all. a lot of people here with 'good' battery life literally turn every feature off and think its just fine to do that. they cant comprehend why other people won't do the same thing.

Travisimo

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Every phone has an achilles heel. For me, battery is the S6's achilles heel, but I've stuck with it because I like the design, screen, and amazing camera. For me, camera is more important than battery life, but they are very close. In fact, I'd rather sacrifice something like the screen resolution or phone thickness, but they don't ask my opinion when designing phones, LOL.

I'm looking at several upcoming phones as a replacement for my S6.

1) Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus - Since buying the standard S6, I kinda wish I had gotten the Edge, even though I know there's no real utility there. The Edge Plus intrigues me because I like bigger phones and I'm hoping for a considerably bigger battery. I'm assuming the camera will be the same, which is good because I absolutely love the camera on my S6. I'm a little skeptical that battery life will actually be much better though because even if the battery itself it larger, it will be offset somewhat by the bigger screen (though standby time should be better). I really wish that Android M was coming out in time for its launch though because M could really improve the battery life. Anyway, it's definitely a contender. The problem is, if I want to get it at launch, I'll probably have to go with the AT&T branded version because I doubt an unlocked version will be available and affordable right away. I bought my current S6 unlocked off of Ebay and it's working great on AT&T (I paid $530).

2) Moto X 2015 - Camera is definitely Motorola's achilles heal, and they always seem to be significantly behind. Yes, they improve the camera with each iteration, but they really can't compete with the competition. I assume they use similar sensors but just aren't up to snuff with image processing and camera software. Maybe this will be the year, but I am skeptical. Battery life was also an issue with last year's version, so while I absolutely LOVE Moto's Android software (close to stock with useful additions), they really need to nail it with camera and battery life. Moto Maker is still the differentiator with the Moto X and I look forward to any additions to that as well. I have no interest in a front-facing flash and I will never use it, so that isn't a selling point for me. Spend the money on better image processing, even if it means licensing something... that's what Moto needs to do.

3) One Plus 2 - I had the original for a while and it was a pretty nice phone, so I'm definitely interested. The problem is, will I be able to wait long enough to get one? Sure, they say their invite system is going to be improved, and they say they'll have a much larger initial supply... but it could still be MONTHS before the average Joe can get ahold of one. Still, the internals sound like they'll be really good and the leaked photos from the camera look promising. There's a lot going for it... unlocked, Cyanogen, (hopefully) good camera, fast processor (hopefully no heat issues with 810 SoC), plenty of RAM, fingerprint reader (hopefully as good as Samsung and Apple's), and a competitive price. Will it all come together though? Will they be able to pull it off? Again, I'm skeptical, but hopeful.

4) Nexus ? - I'm always interested in Nexus phones, but they always seem to have an achilles heel as well. Sometimes it's battery life, sometimes it's camera. I really like the Nexus 6 - it's not too big for me, has a good screen, okay battery life, and a serviceable camera. I've been running Android M on it and the software is a dream. But after using the S6's camera, there's just no comparison. Still, if it's the first phone out of the gate with official Android M, I can't help but drool. Two Nexus phones this year? Maybe.

5) iPhone 6S Plus - I have the iPhone 6 Plus right now, and I switch between it and the S6 on AT&T. I like the dabble in both ecosystems and keep up to date with both OS's, so I will always have an iPhone. The thing Apple is struggling with the most right now is a BUGGY operating system. Seriously, they have pushed too hard and have bit off more than they can chew. I'm tired of things now working right. It used to be Android that was always buggy and full of problems, but now it seems it's the other way around. Still, Apple still has a great overall ecosystem and the camera is right up there with the S6 (though I still think the latter tops it, mainly due to higher resolution and more camera app features). The battery life on my 6 Plus is phenomenal, even with heavy use and lots of on-screen time. Many apps are still better on iOS. These are nothing to sneeze at, but I just get bored very easily with iOS. Still, I'm intrigued to see what they do with Force Touch and camera improvements.

THAT'S ABOUT IT! I'm not a typical user though, I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus (no sim), Nexus 6 (Sprint), and Galaxy S6 (AT&T). I like having two carriers, multiple phones, and both OS's. Some people like cars, boats, or what not... I like phones! LOL. I also have a Nexus 5 that I just can't seem to part with. The S6 is my currently driver and I really like it, but I just can't stand the battery life (or lack thereof) much longer. What will be my NEXT?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
its not odd at all. a lot of people here with 'good' battery life literally turn every feature off and think its just fine to do that. they cant comprehend why other people won't do the same thing.

And some people keep insisting that doing tweaks are compromises, and even say that doing things like removing bloatware and turning tons of unnecessary services that come on by default is turning everything off, NONE of my devices are crippled, I have everything I want and need to use on all the time or in the case of NFC and Bluetooth at reach via the accessible quick toggles, I turn them on and off as I need them, no need to waste resources if days pass and I don't use them. You turn your lights on when need them, with a switch, don't waste money on energy leaving them on all day, is just exactly the same, can't you see that?

Plus, let me finish by saying this, doing some tweaks, removing bloatware and turning Dozens of Google's, carrier's and OEM's services off on an Android, is setting your Android phone more or less like an iOS device come from factory, or do you think that iOS devices come with all those apps and services on? Like I've said dozens of times, we must compare apples to apples, and the only way to do that is to do ourselves what the Android OEMs are not doing, "optimizing" our phones, and what do you think we are doing by applying those tweaks? Let Apple allow same background services running all the time, plus add a qHD display to the 6+ and come back here and tell me how different the battery and performance will be compared to the S6, apples to apples...

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
While the battery S6 could be better, I don't find mine is as horrible as others. I get through a full day with at least 15% remaining by 11pm, this being it was pulled off charger at midnight to charge. This is my main work phone so I have email syncing auto, many texts and phone calls throughout the day, some browsing and YouTube videos. I deactivated and removed Facebook recently as it just really annoyed me as a social media app, my battery isn't any better without it. Love my S6, just wish this camera hissing focus issue would get resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App

timdsmith72

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I had the S6 and didn't have bad battery life. It wasn't good either, but it wasn't bad. I got the S6 Active and the battery life on this thing is phenomenal. Never have to worry about it. (Of course, it's ~1000 mA bigger...) And personally, I like the design of it better than the original S6. But, to each his own.

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm still getting similar results:
View attachment 188522

(4h45m15s screen-on time; power saving mode.)

That's a mix of moderate usage for me, on and off wifi. The sharp declines are from gaming (Sky Force, Real Racing 3) and watching videos. News apps, Facebook, Instagram, etc, running carelessly in the background.

Spent just over an hour charging back to 100%.

I realize people have different needs, usage patterns and expectations when it comes to battery life -- personally I'm quite happy with this sort of performance.
We seem to be in the minority on this thread though....

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
While the battery S6 could be better, I don't find mine is as horrible as others. I get through a full day with at least 15% remaining by 11pm, this being it was pulled off charger at midnight to charge. This is my main work phone so I have email syncing auto, many texts and phone calls throughout the day, some browsing and YouTube videos. I deactivated and removed Facebook recently as it just really annoyed me as a social media app, my battery isn't any better without it. Love my S6, just wish this camera hissing focus issue would get resolved.

Posted via the Android Central App

I recently uninstalled Facebook to see if it would make a difference to battery life. It didn't make much difference at all and I was fed up of the restrictions of Fast so I reinstalled Facebook lol. But the Carbon app is heaven compared to the official twitter app

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the S6 and didn't have bad battery life. It wasn't good either, but it wasn't bad. I got the S6 Active and the battery life on this thing is phenomenal. Never have to worry about it. (Of course, it's ~1000 mA bigger...) And personally, I like the design of it better than the original S6. But, to each his own.

No it's not to each his own. It's some of us don't even have the active as an option

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I am glad that I have the Active,and if I couldn't, I would switch carriers to get it.

The battery life is phenomenal, the camera is excellent, the signal quality, and sound quality is superb, and it's built like a Abrams tank.

My only complaint is that it wasn't offered with the 128 gig internal memory or a removable SD card,but I have a relatively easy work around with a micro USB flash drive.

That said, I find it sad that those who have legitimate complaints about bad battery life on any phone, and the key word is legitimate, haven't returned their defective phones.

Battery manufacturing is not perfect, and there are many instances where those who are getting really poor battery life most likely have a bad battery.

Most of the time though, not all, many people just choose to complain about it and never try to find out if it is the battery or software issues . Some people are of the mind that they shouldn't have to make any effort to optimize their Android phones ,and all I can say is that your Apple roots are clearly evident. Android is not ios, and never will have everything optomized as ios. Apples and Zucchini, not even close.

If anyone feels that they should not have to optomize their Android device because they have payed dearly for it,and then complain about the way things are, my advice is to sell it and never buy another one, because as long as Android is open source it will always be this way.

There are very easy tips to help anyone who wants better battery life for the s6 variants that are posted on this forum, if you choose not to take advantage of this that is entirely up to you.

Now if you have done everything that you can and still have bad battery life then either take your phone in for service or get rid of it,it's that simple, but to say all s6 variants get lousy battery life is total rubbish.....many people have excellent battery life for the size of the s6 and they don't have a crippled device nor is the screen brightness turned down all the way.

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax