Car quick charger while using navigation

MHBlink8

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
Whenever I am using Google Maps for navigation and I plug in my phone to my quick charger, it doesn't actually charge the phone. It just keeps the phone at the same charge level, but never actually charges the phone. I know the charger works, because if I'm not using Google Maps, the phone charges as expected. I'm using a 3rd party quick charger, but that shouldn't matter.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe a car can actually put out the necessary amperage to charge the phone when using navigation with the screen on and at full/near full brightness. It never used to work on my old S3.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The car charger I got when I bought my Galaxy Nexus from Verizon charges my S6 while using Waze for navigation. I drove for 45 minutes yesterday, and the phone went from ~60% to 100 before I arrived at my destination.

I know you can purchase chargers on amazon that do make use of quick charge capabilities.

Posted via the Android Central App

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I have a Quick Charge certified car charger too and if the screen is on and using Google Maps Navigation then it will barely charge. You're not alone there. Actually, my S6 will actually say it's getting too hot and needs to cool down!

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
My car charger is not a quick charger, its at least 3 years old. I have my phone mount clipped onto one of my cars AC vents to keep it cool. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Just sounds like your phone is eating up just as much juice as your charger is putting out.
My car charger is not a quick charger, its at least 3 years old. I have my phone mount clipped onto one of my cars AC vents to keep it cool. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

That sounds like a great setup. Heat is never your friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Travo79

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Just sounds like your phone is eating up just as much juice as your charger is putting out.

That sounds like a great setup. Heat is never your friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

It's worked great for me so far. I switch it up in the winter and go with a window mounted option to keep it away from the vents.

LuvrGirl

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have an anker car charger, 2 port, with a charging cable only (not the usb data/charging cable). Running the phone with GPS and the screen on it still charges my phone to 100% even with everything running.

Make sure you have a good car charger with enough power and a charge cable only.