New S6 Connected To My Wi-fi Without The Password?

aimb80

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I thought it was very strange that after taking home my new Galaxy S6, that when I prompted it to connect to my personal password protected (WPA/WPA2) Wi-Fi, that it connected with no problems and never asked for a password. Weird? Scary?

That prompted me to check the security for my Wi-Fi, which is still in place. I use the Cisco Linksys EA6300 for my Wi-Fi. I have always been prompted for a password when first connecting. Maybe it was me signing into my Google account? Maybe it stores Wi-Fi passwords?

If anyone else experienced this, I'd be curious to know. Thanks!:)

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was very strange that after taking home my new Galaxy S6, that when I prompted it to connect to my personal password protected (WPA/WPA2) Wi-Fi, that it connected with no problems and never asked for a password. Weird? Scary?

That prompted me to check the security for my Wi-Fi, which is still in place. I use the Cisco Linksys EA6300 for my Wi-Fi. I have always been prompted for a password when first connecting. Maybe it was me signing into my Google account? Maybe it stores Wi-Fi passwords?

If anyone else experienced this, I'd be curious to know. Thanks!:)

If you had another S6 and restored from it, it will restore your WiFi passwords, if you set your S6 and when it asked you if you wanted to restore Google settings from a previous , it also restore your WiFi, don't worry about it.

4runner

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not just any S6, but any Android will do this. Google saves that info if you have the backup my data option checked in your settings. Then anytime you get a new phone and activate it, Google downloads all that info for you.

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
It's not just any S6, but any Android will do this. Google saves that info if you have the backup my data option checked in your settings. Then anytime you get a new phone and activate it, Google downloads all that info for you.

Posted via the Android Central App

I separated my response and what you explain here is what I explained in the second part. What I meant in the first part was if he used a backup from a previous S6 to restore from using Samsung Smart switch or even simply a Samsung cloud backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech