VPN blocks outbound SMS on S6

flaflashr

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Upgraded phone from Samsung Galaxy S4 to Samsung Galaxy S6. Incoming TXT continues to work normally, but I cannot send an outbound TXT while VPN is connected. If I disconnect from VPN, TXT works fine again.

Same carrier - Verizon. Same messaging app - Samsung Messaging. Same VPN provider and account. Using OpenVPN on both. Also tried the VPN Client that PIA provided -- same results.

Same results whether I am using WiFi, or if I disable WiFi and only use Verizon normal wireless. Wife's GS5 using same OpenVPN and same SMS app and same network works perfectly.

I contacted my VPN provider, PrivateInternetAccess, who promptly blamed my Wireless Provider, Verizon. They stated that I had to tell Verizon to provide a "NAT unrestricted IP address".

When I contacted Verizon, telling them of the requirements for VPN, they said the only way to get that was to purchase a static IP address, at a cost of about $500. Obviously that was out of the question.

Help?
JimR

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Send a VERY SHORT text - like one word. That makes sure it goes SMS, not MMS, which means it's not going via VPN. (Voice and SMS go via 2G, so the VPN doesn't see them.)

If that works, it's the VPN or the phone setup. If it doesn't it's the phone or Verizon.

Needing a static IP for outbound internet access is nonsense. (In the electronics industry, an answer like that is called "the lie of the day" - anything to get the customer off the phone quickly so you can meet your quota of calls.) For inbound access, like running a web server on your phone, yes. But not for outbound access.

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I use a VPN most days, and have no problems with sending SMSs.

I don't have a static IP as far as I know; I never asked for one.

Can you send an SMS with mobile data off?

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm interested in switching to Verizon Messages + when traveling abroad in order to send and receive texts via wifi with Verizon data shut off. Does anybody know if a VPN will inhibit this strategy? I like to connect to hotel wifi via VPN for protection.

leebut

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
A VPN should only create a tunnel for your traffic on the network. It shouldn't interfere with a service. Check with Verizon to be sure.

Edwin Sanabia

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I had this same issue and found that if you uncheck Enhanced 4G LTE Services under mobile data which is under mobile networks in settings, SMS works normally under VPN.