S6 Camera Issues

BellaGee

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I just recently upgraded from the S3 to the S6. I loved the S3 and was looking forward to the newer, better S6. So far, I like a lot about the S6, but am really disappointed with the camera. I read that it was THE BEST smartphone camera on the market, which is one of the reasons I upgraded. However, I am not happy with it at all. I get distortion in both front and rear cameras. It is mostly noticeable in portrait photos. Unless the person is perfectly centered in the shot, their face is distorted, with a kind of elongated, alien look. It's awful.
After talking at length with Samsung Support, following their steps and even doing a hard reset, it seems that there isn't a hardware problem. The distortion comes because the S6 has a wide-angle lens. Great for landscapes, but crappy for portraits.
I am pretty much stuck with this phone, so I want to know if any other S6 users have found a way to get around this problem. Maybe a camera app? I have tried a couple, but no luck yet. Does anyone have suggestions to prevent/fix the distortion?

Posted via the Android Central App

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Try setting the camera resolution to a 4:3 ratio if you take portrait photos. The front cam is defaulted at 4:3 resolution and i think you should not get the problem of distorted result.

The distortion on the previous Galaxy S5 is more apparent than the s6.

If possible please attach a sample pic taken by your camera here in the forums so we can see if its really normal.

BellaGee

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I'll try changing the ratio to 4:3. Hopefully that will help.
Here is an example of the distortion, which mainly affects faces.

Attachments

• 1335.jpg
    1335.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 112

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I'll try changing the ratio to 4:3. Hopefully that will help.

Never seen that on my phone. Seems like an issue. Hopefully they'll replace. Every shot I have taken comes out really good!

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site

Is this taken with the rear or front cam?
This is a little weird, mine performs perfectly. Have you tried resetting settings of your camera?
Also, try cleaning the lens and remove any plastic/glass that may be blocking it (if any)

If it still has this issue then this is not normal. You may consider a replacement unit.

BellaGee

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
This was taken with the rear cam (not the selfie cam). That kind of distortion occurs on the edges of the photos. If changing the ratio to 4:3 doesn't help, I will definitely look into a replacement. I'd have to go through Samsung directly because my cell provider (I bought the phone through them) has taken the "too bad, so sad" position. Lol. Nice.

engineeryajeeb

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh thats indeed sad. lol, good luck with your replacement. Check also your new unit thoroughly once you receive it.

Tips to check on the new unit: (These are common issues)
1. Rattling home button, power button
2. Amoled screen uneven. especially on white backgrounds, some areas are more warm than the others
3. Camera blotch on front cam. (Smudges of pink or black/blue tint)

I hope you get a perfect unit! Mine is good and i love this phone. :)

sarapoep

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
One strange thing I noticed, was taking a couple photos today, each photo sounded different - almost like I was taking a burst shot, but I wasn't, and some turned out very cloudy and blurry. I wasn't taking a picture of people, it was stuff to sell. It was really odd. What would cause a different sound when you press the camera shot button?

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
to chime in here, I also get weird distortion (more like 'stretching', making people's faces look fat - I'm guessing as others pointed out it's due to the wide angle nature of the lens. I will change settings and revert to 4:3 ... I've had it set to 16:9 --- thinking more is better .. :) ... Curious : when would you use 16:9 ratio if not "all the time" ??????

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it has been mentioned, but have you pulled the clear plastic piece off the lens? It's hard to see. I know it has a hole in the center like it shouldn't have to come off. However, this could be the issue.

Tim Caldwell

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I think it has been mentioned, but have you pulled the clear plastic piece off the lens? It's hard to see. I know it has a hole in the center like it shouldn't have to come off. However, this could be the issue.

Interesting ... Yes, I see that small plastic covering the lens ... I assume it is to prevent dirt/damage to the lens ... hmmmm....

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people removes it. Use to be a thread about it several months ago. There is also one on the flash but that wouldn't case the issue you're having.

Did you change to 4:3 like suggested above yet?

Have you tried a 3rd party camera app to see if you get the same effect?

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
This happens on every camera with a 16:9 default aspect ratio. That's why selfies taken on the iPhone look so much better than on Galaxies :) for the meantime (however long you're stuck with this phone) change the resolution to 4:3. This essentially just crops the resolution size without losing quality and makes the distortion of a wide angle lens less apparent. It's better for most situations trust me. In the camera app you should see a cog for settings and there you'll find the resolution options.