Galaxy S6 won't charge after dropped in water! What should I do?

torakristinel

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy s6 wont charge after dropped in water!

Yesterday I lost my galaxy s6 in the sink, which was filled with water. I grabbed it immediately, and only the bottom half had been underneath the water. It worked fine after that, it had not even turned off. But it needed charging and when i tried to charge it, it said something like: phone can not charge because the battery is overheated. So now I have put it in a plastic bag filled with rice and it was in there overnight. I tried charging it again this morning, but the same thing happened. It is now back in the rice. Any suggstions to what I should do?

torakristinel

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s6 wont charge after dropped in water!

Thank you, but according to that person I have done everything that is possible to do wrong. I didnt remove the battery, because that is not possible on the galaxy s6. I have tried to charge it, and to turn it on. When I have taken it out of the rice bag, it turns on, but when I try to charge it it tells me that the charging has to pause, because the battery is overheated. Now its back in the rice. How long should I keep it there, and/or is there anything else I can do? It seems as it is working just fine when it is turned on.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. You might be at the point where if you have insurance, now would be the time to use it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site

I might try blowing it out thru the charging port and/or headphone jack with some canned air. Or, try charging thru a usb on a laptop as that is a lower powered charge. It may just take some more time and it will start working again on it's own. Something;s still damp in there apparently. I had a Razr Maxx that fell in a creek and wouldn't work for 2 months then one day started working like nothing had ever happened. Not being able to open it up and remove the battery is definitely a handicap when this sort of thing happens.

torakristinel

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have an insurance for my phone. I will leave it in the bag of rice over night and tomorrow I will try charging via usb, but I dont have any canned air :/

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have an insurance for my phone. I will leave it in the bag of rice over night and tomorrow I will try charging via usb, but I dont have any canned air :/

Key to rice working is patients. It doesn't work in hours, but in days, depending how wet it gets.

Posted via the Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Key to rice working is patients. It doesn't work in hours, but in days, depending how wet it gets.

Posted via the Android Central App

Makes me wonder how wireless charging is affected.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site

If there is a battery in a phone - even if turned off - if water gets to the circuitry then there will be permanent damage. Could be no audio, could be no screen, could be nonfunctional buttons, could be failure to boot, or could be no charging. If you remove the battery from a phone, then drop it in water - then as long as you dry it out, it should work fine. But with battery in, even turned off, there will be several/many shorts which will ruin components. The stories you hear about dropping a phone in water, then drying it out and having it work only means water never reached the circuitry.

torakristinel

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site

An update: my phone is just the same after staying 24 hours in dry rice. When turning on the phone it works percetly fine! Its just charging which seems to be the problem. It says it has to pause the charging because the battery is overheating. When this seems to be the only problem, is there any point in still leaving it in rice? And would a wireless charger work or would the problem be the same? Is there anything that would help, like getting a new battery or something?

The Ninja

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site

If you have not tried with the wireless charger yet, you'd better do it!
Anyway, since the battery charging is the only issue, I would spend some money to fix it even without insurance...

Ismael Ramos1

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

Same thing happened to me. Luckily i had bought a samsung charging pad before it got wet. Now I just lay my phone on the pad and it charges... whats damaged is the charging port on your phone.

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Hello. Last week I fell from a boat, while working, in seawater with my Galaxy S4 Active in my pocket. These phone is Water proof but the USB protection was not properly closed and happened to enter salt water inside my phone throw the USB plug. The phone keeps working and I keeped it on because I need it to speak with my colleagues that were in land. I lost the functionality of the main button, return button, microphone, and USB plug but the rest keep working. Later in home, I opened my phone and learned that the flex cable was damage (which hold the down buttons functionality, microphone and USB plug), the rest I cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol. I changed the flex cable by a new one and USB port, buttons and microphone began to work properly, but my phone start display battery over heat protection while charging, and CPU overheating alarms. I solved the battery heat protection alarm by using the "Battery calibration" software available in google Play store. I think that these may solve your problem too. The heating alarm of CPU that some times ends turning off my phone I still didn't manage to solve. I think I will try to reinstall the firmware of my phone to try to escape from these errors. I'm using the software CPU-Z for android to monitor the temperature of my phone components, and when the heat alarm , the temperature showed by CPU-Z is inside acceptable parameters, so I think is just software problems.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello. Last week I fell from a boat, while working, in seawater with my Galaxy S4 Active in my pocket. These phone is Water proof but the USB protection was not properly closed and happened to enter salt water inside my phone throw the USB plug. The phone keeps working and I keeped it on because I need it to speak with my colleagues that were in land. I lost the functionality of the main button, return button, microphone, and USB plug but the rest keep working. Later in home, I opened my phone and learned that the flex cable was damage (which hold the down buttons functionality, microphone and USB plug), the rest I cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol. I changed the flex cable by a new one and USB port, buttons and microphone began to work properly, but my phone start display battery over heat protection while charging, and CPU overheating alarms. I solved the battery heat protection alarm by using the "Battery calibration" software available in google Play store. I think that these may solve your problem too. The heating alarm of CPU that some times ends turning off my phone I still didn't manage to solve. I think I will try to reinstall the firmware of my phone to try to escape from these errors. I'm using the software CPU-Z for android to monitor the temperature of my phone components, and when the heat alarm , the temperature showed by CPU-Z is inside acceptable parameters, so I think is just software problems.

If water gets to the circuitry while the battery is connected - even if the phone is off - then your phone is destined to die. Even if you work through a few minor issues, corrosion and short-circuits will guarantee that the phone has been damaged beyond repair. Saltwater will make it worse. Your only hope would be if the water didn't hit circuitry - but from the issues you mention it has. If your phone turns on then I'd connect it to a PC and get your files off while you can. Then start looking for a new phone. All the tricks you read about to clean or dry a phone will only work for a phone that had no battery in it when it hit the water.

luis_av

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Hello, I've recently have had the same problem with my Samsung galaxy s6 edge, did you do anything that has fixed it yet? I put mine in a bag of rice, but whenever i try to charge it, its pauses and says it's overheating, this occurred yesterday by the way, please reply ASAP as I hope there's still time to fix it.

Last edited:

olivierdlb

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi Luis, I have the same issue with a GS6, it wouldn't charge, it's been 2 days in the rice.
Did you eventual get it to work or you had to take it to the repair shop? Thanks.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
If a battery is in a phone, and water hits anything electrical such as circuit boards, wiring, charging jack, etc then the phone is history - even if it might work OK or partially OK for a while. Get your files copied off while you can, then wait for it to fail and then replace it. Forget fixing it. Eat the rice, don't waste it on your phone. That will only work if there had been no battery in the phone, and who carries around a phone without a battery?

Lucy Jallow

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
I spilt a cup of water on my s6 yesterday. Its working fine when on, but wont charge. Device dont even react in no way when I plug in the charger, I think charging port is damaged. Its still in rice, but I dont think it wouldnt help. Can anyone tell me will the wireless charger work in that case? I readed one answer here that it works. I would like to read more opinion please.
Im begging you lol im struggling with my old s3 lol x

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's no way for us to tell -- you can try it for yourself. Go to your nearest Best Buy or other electronics store, and ask the sales rep if you can test out a wireless charger.

Be aware that water damage can be insidious and progressive, so you might encounter additional issues over the coming weeks to months.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance