I can't set up my email on my S6 it keeps saying authentication failed, what do I do?

A

AC Question

i cant set up my email on my S6 it keeps saying "authentication failed"

i have got my g-mail working but cant get my other emails to work? any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: i cant set up my email on my S6 it keeps saying "authentication failed"

Welcome to Android Central! Which email providers are the other email accounts from? Are you sure you entered the correct usernames and passwords? If the accounts don't get added automatically, you could try manually entering the settings. You'd have to look for the email provider's IMAP or POP3 server settings, which you can search for on the web (look for "[email provider] IMAP settings"), and enter all of that information exactly.

bkekcs

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
I tried to set mine up as well and get the same failure message. I have spent time on the phone with my isp and with AT&T and neither has been able to help. I was doing it manually . The incoming imap server is mail.isp.com and the outgoing is smtp.isp.com. It has been 7 months since i got the phone and still can't get it to work. Gmail works fine. My wife got a Galaxy s6 today and I can't set it up on her phone either. My Android version is 5.1.1 and hers is 5.0.2. Can you direct me where else to turn?

sharpycl

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Also if you have 2 factor authentication set up with your email service provider I've found with some services you have to use a special password (not your account password) to set up the email service on your s6.

bkekcs

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: i cant set up my email on my S6 it keeps saying "authentication failed"

I was having the same problem and maybe I can help. I was trying to add the email using the "email" icon and always got the failure message. today I was playing around in settings and went to accounts under the "personal" heading and there I tapped "add account". There are several icons there to choose from including some email icons. Since my isp said to use imap I clicked on an imap email icon, did the things my isp had instructed and it worked. The added email shares the gmail icon with my gmail account. Hope this helps someone out there.

mgearmail

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I fixed my issue in a strange way.

I just about went insane trying to set up my two Gmail accounts on the Samsung email app after Verizon Message+ somehow screwed the accounts up. I kept getting error messages saying "unable to connect to email server to verify your account information. no response from server." I did three factory resets, cleared all of my Google backup data on both accounts, and emptied out my Verizon backup files online. Nothing worked. Obviously this was a major pain, as I had to reinstall all of my apps and re-do all of my settings.

Almost by accident, I tried verifying my Gmail account info in the Samsung email app while I was using 4G instead of being connected to my home wireless network. It suddenly worked.

I have no idea why being on my network was keeping me from setting up my Gmail accounts. I was having no issues whatsoever with my home network: all other apps and my laptop were connecteing to the internet just fine. I had spent hours searching the web for solutions, none of which worked. It was insanely frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy