S6 Abandoned External SD Card Slot - This is a Regression

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,
I've a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I'm very happy with, except for the Camera. The Digial Zoom isn't really perfect compared with the optical zoom and Image stabilizer from the S6.
But this is a minor issue.
Removing the feature of an external Sd Storage is really a regression.
S5 Storage SD Card is in my point of view what makes the difference. You can store your data and easily setup in another device.
So I really expect from SAMSUNG engineers to implement this feature again in the next S7.
Regards
Carlos

Last edited:

darkmanx2g

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
With the new Google photos app. I can see all my photos on all my devices and the web. Full quality. Not noticing the no SD card option.

Posted via the Android Central App

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Reliance on SD card slots needs to die in a fire.

This is my first device without an SD slot and I couldn't be happier. I now realize how much time I wasted sorting files between a small internal and an external.

Large internal drive FTW.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Had a 64GB card in my GS4 and never used all the space. It also got corrupted.

In my GS6 64GB, still have almost 50GB free. Don't miss the SD card.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am on both sides of the fence. I miss having the SD card cause it was easier to FDR my phone cause I didn't have to copy all 30 gigs of pics, video, and music back onto it each time I have too. But it performs better on the system memory and loads faster. Also they screw you when you go to buy a phone for upgraded memory paying $100 extra for the next step up is ridiculous.

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I see you are very happy with S6 interanl memory.
Indeed, if you just have photos, selfies and videos is perfect for you.
Let me hear you next yearwhen you will buy next version and you will need to transfert your data.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I see you are very happy with S6 interanl memory.
Indeed, if you just have photos, selfies and videos is perfect for you.
Let me hear you next yearwhen you will buy next version and you will need to transfert your data.

What other data would I need to transfer, other than photos and videos? I already have that automatically syncing to Google Photos cloud service. Even without the cloud, that stuff takes 5 minutes to copy to my PC, then copy to my new phone. Doing that once every 2 years is really not a problem.

Any other data (documents, backups, etc) are saved in the cloud anyway, but those could also be simply moved to PC, then to new phone.

Managing data on my 64GB phone compared to my 16GB+64GB-SD tablet... no question. I absolutely hate having to manage data on my tablet, such an unnecessary hassle.

BioFanatic

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Had a 64GB card in my GS4 and never used all the space. It also got corrupted..

THIS. My SD card on my old GS3 decided to po.op the bed on 2 separate occasions, and I was saving all of my pictures directly to it, so I lost a bunch that were not yet backed up. The one time was only 2 days before I left for a long vacation... had I lost all of my music during my trip, I would not have been happy!

Last edited:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I regularly synch all my accounts as well as photos and other files. I keep only what I use and truly need and offload stuff taking up unnecessary space so still tons of space left and my device functions better without the SD card. Could I do more to offload? Sure. With each new device upgrade, I reinstall fewer apps as I determine which I really use.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I've a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I'm very happy with, except for the Camera. The Digial Zoom isn't really perfect compared with the optical zoom and Image stabilizer from the S6.
But this is a minor issue.
Removing the feature of an external Sd Storage is really a regression.
S5 Storage SD Card is in my point of view what makes the difference. You can store your data and easily setup in another device.
So I really expect from SAMSUNG engineers to implement this feature again in the next S7.
Regards
Carlos

There is no opticle zoom on the S6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt