Battery Life is despicable

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So small update to this, been trying to find a way to actually disable specific apps to not run in background, anybody know how to do that? I went to applications to manager and if you pick disable, it resets the app to factory or something. I dontt hink that is a solution.

The battery hasn't really gotten better, the 30 minute drive i took which i did not use anything, the phone drained 4 %. By 830 with about 1 minute of brief screen time on, it was down to 90%. Went through the settings to look for solutions, now down to 88%. There is nothing it seems to stop this unless i go on full low battery mode which i dont think is a legitimate solution to this.

talked with somebody that has the edge and asked he had the same problems, he said yes, the battery sucks and has to charge it by half day if he wants full days use with no concerns.

horrible battery experience... The standby time on this phoen is horrible,my phone would sleepin and i open after a little bit and the battery is draining 5% each hour it seems.

iphone 6+ standby time was excellent.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
On my Note 4 if you go to data usage you will see a list of apps and their data used. Click on an app name and you can scroll down to click a box to restrict data for that one app for mobile data.

Posted via the Android Central App

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
So small update to this, been trying to find a way to actually disable specific apps to not run in background, anybody know how to do that? I went to applications to manager and if you pick disable, it resets the app to factory or something. I dontt hink that is a solution.

The battery hasn't really gotten better, the 30 minute drive i took which i did not use anything, the phone drained 4 %. By 830 with about 1 minute of brief screen time on, it was down to 90%. Went through the settings to look for solutions, now down to 88%. There is nothing it seems to stop this unless i go on full low battery mode which i dont think is a legitimate solution to this.

talked with somebody that has the edge and asked he had the same problems, he said yes, the battery sucks and has to charge it by half day if he wants full days use with no concerns.

horrible battery experience... The standby time on this phoen is horrible,my phone would sleepin and i open after a little bit and the battery is draining 5% each hour it seems.

iphone 6+ standby time was excellent.

The combination of Doze app and Greenify is amazing on my device, have you tried them?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.yirgalab.dzzz&token=9T7RhI44

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&token=iS64Qth_

My standby time went from frustrating to glorious, I found out another thing by accident when I went on a camping trip I forgot to turn my phone off, it lasted more than 2.5 days with 4 hours SOT, Doze, Greenify and WiFi off were the best combination, check the screen shot for the results.

dreaming of electric sheep

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-29-21-43-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-29-21-43-16.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 80

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The combination of Doze app and Greenify is amazing on my device, have you tried them?

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.yirgalab.dzzz&token=XT1nB-97

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ails?id=com.oasisfeng.greenify&token=BTFLjjIF

My standby time went from frustrating to glorious, I found out another thing by accident when I went on a camping trip I forgot to turn my phone off, it lasted more than 2.5 days with 4 hours SOT, Doze, Greenify and WiFi off were the best combination, check the screen shot for the results.

Why does Doze want to create a VPN for disabling processes? I didn't like that part of it and thats why i avoided using it.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Why does Doze want to create a VPN for disabling processes? I didn't like that part of it and thats why i avoided using it.

It's not a real vpn, did you read their app description. It's a barrier to block data.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Here's my current battery savings settings. Hope it helps.

1. Location off, location history off
2. Nfc off
3. WiFi always scanning off
4. Keep WiFi on when sleeping = only when plugged in.
4. Smart stay off
5. Brightness usually around 15%, Auto brightness off.
6. Close all apps in the app switcher tray regularly when not being used.
7. Greenify all apps that don't need essential notifications. Setup Greenify widget in the home screen and activate it to close non essential apps regularly.
8. Use Doze app, only essential apps whielisted.

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So another update...Again this morning, the standby battery drain was pretty bad. On a 30 minute drive to work, i was already at 90% and 60% by lunch time after getting off the charge at 730am.

So whe i first checked in the day after the initial drain, i noticed the email sync being the highest % in the batter use section after charge. I had two emails one outlook and one using 365 at work to sync every hour. I figured, it probably synced right after so didn't think anything of it being the highest use. So in the first hour after work, my phoen was warm and just continued to drain getting annoyed and so i just checked my data usage and the email sync was already at 700mb only for four days of using this phone, that was insane. My email usage on my iphone wouldn't even hit 100mb per month let alon 700mb in four days. Again this is setting the sync to 1 hour intervals and only a month worth of emails, but after initially syncing a months worth, only new emails come in and i dont receive that many during the day.

So i decided to remove my two emails and see if the battery improved, it kind of, but done i checked after an hour to see the battery and instagram took over as the leader in battery usage out of no where, i didn't even open the app today.

So now i went to data usage, turned of background refresh for both instagram and facebook and for sure the battery has improved. It is no longer draining 5% on standby after about 30 minutes.

The only thing left is, is it the apps or is it the email? Im thinking email since my data usage was so high, but i will add the emails back later to see if it is that or not.

Ill update once i do. So unofficially for me, i think three things played a role in this bad battery. constant email syncing even though it was set at 1 hour intervals and instgram/facebook.

Also, the email app glitched on me thinking my work email was my consumer outlook email, it just overtook that for some reason.

we'll see what happens

Todailytechroberts

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Managed to get 20 hours before I had to charge due to work the next day but would have been 24. There are a few things you can do to get better life out of your s6.

1.To start change from touch wiz ui to nova laucher or similar.
2. Go to applications and disable any app that you do not use regularly or just delete all together.
3. Enable developer options and change animations to quick. This way your s6 will not use system memory and power making all these animations loading apps which are really pointless as you just want a be able to open a app.
4. Download oprea max from Google play, opera max sends data to a VPN and compresses files this way it will load faster you won't use as much data and your phone won't spend longer loading large files. Also you can disable apps from syncing in the background that you do not use. Cut out that junk you do not need.
5.use dark backgrounds and download a simple icon package that is minimal. Not a must but found it helps.

Hope this helps :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-22-21-16-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-22-21-16-19.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 49

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
So another update...Again this morning, the standby battery drain was pretty bad. On a 30 minute drive to work, i was already at 90% and 60% by lunch time after getting off the charge at 730am.

So whe i first checked in the day after the initial drain, i noticed the email sync being the highest % in the batter use section after charge. I had two emails one outlook and one using 365 at work to sync every hour. I figured, it probably synced right after so didn't think anything of it being the highest use. So in the first hour after work, my phoen was warm and just continued to drain getting annoyed and so i just checked my data usage and the email sync was already at 700mb only for four days of using this phone, that was insane. My email usage on my iphone wouldn't even hit 100mb per month let alon 700mb in four days. Again this is setting the sync to 1 hour intervals and only a month worth of emails, but after initially syncing a months worth, only new emails come in and i dont receive that many during the day.

So i decided to remove my two emails and see if the battery improved, it kind of, but done i checked after an hour to see the battery and instagram took over as the leader in battery usage out of no where, i didn't even open the app today.

So now i went to data usage, turned of background refresh for both instagram and facebook and for sure the battery has improved. It is no longer draining 5% on standby after about 30 minutes.

The only thing left is, is it the apps or is it the email? Im thinking email since my data usage was so high, but i will add the emails back later to see if it is that or not.

Ill update once i do. So unofficially for me, i think three things played a role in this bad battery. constant email syncing even though it was set at 1 hour intervals and instgram/facebook.

Also, the email app glitched on me thinking my work email was my consumer outlook email, it just overtook that for some reason.

we'll see what happens

I recently discovered as well gmail app was running at the top of my list, noticed my Hotmail/outlook/yahoo email accounts were constantly syncing at 1 hr intervals as well. Removed the email accounts, downloaded the outlook app and they are all syncing normal there with minimal processor use.

Also, instgram is a very big problem for me too. I rarely check it, maybe 4 times throughout the day, and its always 15-18% of my battery.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Why is gpsd my top battery consumer. Have turned off location without effect. Started with 5.1.1 on ATT.

Posted via my S6 with Samsung Pay!

anonymouslyblah

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I can't find a general battery thread...so hopefully I can hijack this one for guidance.

I can't figure out what happened to my battery life. I used to go to work with a 100% charge, come home, go to bed, and wake up in the morning and still have a charge. I don't need it to be that awesome - but now I can't even last a full work day, even in power saving mode. :(

Screenshot_2015-10-22-17-31-10.jpg
Screen.jpg
Cell Standby.jpg

I've also got a screenshot of Android System and Google Services if needed...I'd love some feedback on what's killing my battery, because I don't really understand it.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
I recently discovered as well gmail app was running at the top of my list, noticed my Hotmail/outlook/yahoo email accounts were constantly syncing at 1 hr intervals as well. Removed the email accounts, downloaded the outlook app and they are all syncing normal there with minimal processor use.

Also, instgram is a very big problem for me too. I rarely check it, maybe 4 times throughout the day, and its always 15-18% of my battery.

Yes Instagram is a big battery killer, I have to Greenify straight after I use it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes Instagram is a big battery killer, I have to Greenify straight after I use it.

I refuse to make this become a way of using my mobile device...i would rather charge the battery, that sort of micro managing is absurd if you ask me. But thats whats great about Android i guess, you can handle the situation as it works best for yourself. When i did use Facebook, FB Messenger was usually at the top of my battery hogging list, dont understand why these social networks eat so many resources. For Instagram, i even reduced the quality of pictures on Data Usage to relieve the battery but it hasnt helped.

dkp23

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
So officially i have given up on trying to tweak the settings.

While turning off some apps including facebook and instagram to work behind the scenes and removing my emails did result in improved standby battery drain, it does not improve on the battery when actually using thephone. There is no getting away from the battery drain when you are using, it will drain fast when doing the simplest things.

This battery is bad, no getting around that. Hopeful to find a solution, but having to turn a bunch of apps off and removing my emails is not a solution. My iphone had 3 emails and just as many apps which isn't a lot and had no issue with battery. Will be going back to iphone shortly.