Have been using Samsung Pay for a week

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Working great. Every time I try and use it the clerk always wants to tell me they don't accept Apple Pay. I say, humor an older guy and let me try something. Put the phone against the reader and it works fine. What is especially nice, is not only does it give you an acknowledgement of the transaction immediately to the phone, but if you tap on the notification, it will show you the last few Amex charges you have had. In fact, any time someone runs your Amex card outside of Samsung Pay, such as at a gas station or restaurant, you still get the notification of the charge being processed. So I guess that might be an Amex thing rather than a Samsung Pay thing. In any case Thumbs up on this App and when it works at the gas pump it will be great.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It is an Amex thing (that I wish more banks would follow). I have my Citi card there too, and that one only notifies you of Samsung Pay transactions. But the Amex one notifies you of any transaction, so it's great since you'd know if your card is being used elsewhere. So far the ones most amazed by it are Starbucks employees (unfortunately you have to either bend around to reach their screens or hand them your phone while instructing them how to do it, which is also kinda fun to do, since they are so surprised) and people with mobile terminals (those phone plug-in thingies in farmers markets :p).

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I have it hooked up to my USBank credit/debit card. Worked perfectly so far. It does not work at gas pumps, but I had heard that it would not be able to work on "insertion" style card readers, and that does appear to be the case. But it has worked on every slider style I have tried, and the instant notification is a nice verification of the amount paid.

It also worked fine on the NFC style like you would use with the other pay methods; McDonalds for example you could do either with Samsung Pay, the swiper or hover over the NFC reader. Both work.

Excellent.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it won't work with 'insertion' readers mostly because the MST field won't reach the terminal, no because it can't. If those were exposed, it would work...but nope, they're enclosed, unlike the swipe readers (which are the most common ones anyway).

Deputy1

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I activated my Amex Blue card yesterday. Went to a small neighborhood liquor store to try it out using Samsung Pay. Worked great. Looking forward to seeing how it works this weekend at various stores.

Posted via the Android Central App

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Used it a few places. At the grocery store i put it up to terminal but still had to input PIN for debit card. Not worth it if I still have to enter PIN but I think its only the case at certain types of readers.

Ryan Wallace

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Used it a few places. At the grocery store i put it up to terminal but still had to input PIN for debit card. Not worth it if I still have to enter PIN but I think its only the case at certain types of readers.
You always have to enter a PIN for debit cards. That will not change now matter what payment system or terminal you go to.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

That's a limitation/imposition/security addition for debit cards. No matter if you use the physical card or the virtual number, it's still a debit card. PIN will be needed.

Brian Weiss

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site
Wish the gas pumps would have nfc at least. Ive been using it and I love when the cashier says it wont work and it does and they look at me funny hahahah.

naturalguy

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I finally got it up and running with my Amex card and it's pretty cool. Just waiting on Chase bank to come aboard as that is the card I use most.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
That's a limitation/imposition/security addition for debit cards. No matter if you use the physical card or the virtual number, it's still a debit card. PIN will be needed.

Some places must be processing it as a credit card then because I have not had to enter PIN every time.

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
This will never replace you having to enter your pin number if it's being ran as debit. Remember this is transmitting the magnetic information that comes from the card, it's just like sliding your card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Wish the gas pumps would have nfc at least. Ive been using it and I love when the cashier says it wont work and it does and they look at me funny hahahah.

Gas stations are a bit tricky when it comes to wireless transmissions... I mean, most still have the NO CELLPHONES sign out there, even though it's been proven that cellphones don't cause enough radiation for gas to ignite or cause sparks (it's more dangerous to be out in your truck on a dry, dusty day than having your cellphone on you).

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Used Android Pay today at Walgreens for the first time and omg I love it! Now if only Samsung Pay would support at least one of my banks I'd love to give it a try since I'll be able to use it on more terminals vs Android Pay. Once that happens I'm sure I'll be using my phone for 90% of my in store purchases.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Besides having more banks on board, another thing that Android Pay has over Samsung Pay is Loyalty cards. If those were included in Samsung Pay then it would be my default app for everything. Just the other day at Starubucks, if you want to use your loyalty card you have to either use the Starbucks app or Android Pay, then switch to Samsung Pay for the payment. It would be great to have everything in a single app, just like Android and Apple Pay do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timeless1