S6 on Verizon unable to connect to WiFi at work, WiFi at home works fine

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Some phones have a setting for the wi-fi login page--I remember my wife's old M8 had one. Not sure about the S6. I'm guessing you've already scoured the Advanced Wi-fi Settings page, as well as whole Wireless & Networks Settings menu?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
No, they require I register with them and that they can then market to me and share my information with others. Otherwise, I can't see the article.
Keep scrolling past that part. I didn't even notice that, I thought it was an ad and didn't pay it any attention. Tips are posted below if you just scroll past it.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Ah, thanks. My bad. I went through the article and it all seems reasonable. I got up to step 5, and I don't know what the brand/model of the AP Router is that is used at work. I was told the security should be WPA/WPA2/PSK, but that's all I know.

Is it possible the S6 has a wireless transceiver that is too new for the AP used by my company? Based on the article, it sounded like everyone should be backward compatible, so it should be okay.

Then up to step 7, we're not using Enterprise or RADIUS or anything like that as far as I know.

The article then said see step 10 and 11, but I didn't see any such steps in the article.

I looked at the apps referenced by the article, but none seem to provide any debugging of the WiFi connection. When I click on Connect, it says "Connecting..." and then it just goes away. Is there an app which would let me see the details of why that's failing to connect?
Like I said before, when I purposefully provide a bad password, it reacts the same way. ... and I've re-checked the password many, many times. I'm sure I'm giving it properly.

One funny thing: I remember one time early when I was trying to connect this device to the WiFi, I got an authentication failure message - but now, even if I give a bad password I don't get that any more - it just says nothing.

Of course, the phone connects effortlessly to my WiFi at home (but it doesn't use this 2-step authentication scheme).

Thanks.

Tiny Burton

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Can your buddies connect through this network OK? Can they access the Web?

Is this a two stage login network?
Do you require authorisation for access? A password associated with your email address?

1st stage
Search for WiFi
Select and enter password

2nd stage
Open browser
Redirected to works webpage
Enter email and password

Connect...

Posted via the Android Central App

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes, this is a 2-stage network, as you describe. In the 1st stage, I find and attempt to connect to the network. During the connection attempt, I enter the password and click on Connect. It responds with "Connecting..." and then nothing.
When I attempt to browse to any web site, the browser just complains that there is no network.

Yes, others in the office are able to connect, but as I've said before - I don't know of any others using the S6.

In our case, the 2nd stage is just a page which asks us to ack the terms & conditions - but I never get that far when connecting with the S6.

Thanks,

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Your phone is never actually connecting to the Internet via your works WiFi so browser shouldn't matter.

If it was connecting, it would have two notifications in the notification pull down. One saying you are connected to ""SSID Name"" and another one that says Sign In-Network.

We just have to find out why your S6 will not fully connect to the router. Since your house wifi works without a problem, I'm gonna have to say the main problem is gonna be your work place wifi equipment is the one causing trouble.

Mind me asking if you have a desk job or similar?

Tiny Burton

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Could be allocation is full.

Your works WiFi has a fixed number of permissible connections and you are one too many.

I'd try out your S6 on another WiFi other than home and work. Like Costa or McDonalds 😄 hmm I fancy a burger now!

Posted via the Android Central App

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I do have a desk job, but I'm not sure where you're going there :)

It's a large building and I've tried to connect from two different locations: My desk and at the desk of the IT guy. According to them, no one else is having problems connecting, so I don't see how it could be a connection limit issue.

As for the notifications, I have them turned off - although I've turned them on and we'll see what they show when I try it today (once I get to work). I was using the following to indicate that it was not connecting to the WiFi network:
  • The entry on the WiFi list does not say "Connected"
  • There is no WiFi icon in the status bar

I'll ask and see if I can find out what the make/model of the WiFi APs are. I'm not sure if they'll tell me, but I'll ask :)

I plan to try the S6 on other networks this weekend. I would like to try some that are simple (connect and go) and one which uses the 2-step authentication (like my work network). We'll see how that goes.

The other thing I have yet to try is a factory reset of the S6. I guess I'll try to do that this weekend after the other tests.

Thanks to all for helping!

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I turned on WiFi Notifications on the phone and tried to connect to the WiFi network at my office. It reacted exactly the same - and no notifications of any kind. I was really hoping it would provide a notification for why it failed. How can the connection fail and not tell us why?

Okay, I'll try the other things recommended above.

Thanks again,

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Uugh - I was just told that our company is not allowing cell phones to connect to the WiFi network unless they are white-listed. This is our Guest WiFi? Why would they do this? I just can't imagine. I've asked to be white-listed so we'll see if they allow that and what happens once that is done.

I'll report back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Uugh - I was just told that our company is not allowing cell phones to connect to the WiFi network unless they are white-listed. This is our Guest WiFi? Why would they do this? I just can't imagine. I've asked to be white-listed so we'll see if they allow that and what happens once that is done.

I'll report back.

Uh-oh. Somebody's been watching lots of Netflix at work.:p

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I just got a confirmation from our IT head - they are black-listing all cell phones from the corporate "guest" network. They are doing this because there is not enough bandwidth on that network for the business users (who are also using that network). So for now, no phones.
Other phones are able to connect because they haven't identified them and added them to the black list yet :(

Thanks to all for the help - it looks like it was a problem with the network after all and not with the phone, so that's good news!

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Possibly great news since you do have a desk job. You can always try to piggyback their wifi with a travel router that is capable of bridging the network. Much like like people do at hotels and such to use a chromecast or similar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37