Text App Downsizing pictures

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Quick question for you guys - the default Samsung texting app downsizes every picture I send, so much so that it looks like absolute garbage to the recipient (pixelated when viewed full screen on the recipient phone). Is there any way to disable this 'feature' or reduce the amount of compression/downsizing on the GS6 side?

I like to save some pictures sent to me from my friends' GS6's (especially ones taken with the incredible camera on the GS6), and there is no point in saving the garbage that I receive from the Samsung texting app. Hoping there is workaround.

Thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Usually that's a limitation on MMS file size imposed by both the MMS standard and can be further reduced by the carrier. You can try using a third party app but it won't improve much.

You have to remember that 'texting' isn't the same as, say, iMessage (although many iUsers keep confusing the two) or Hangouts or Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp messages. The protocols are different and the file sizes each allows are different. MMS, unfortunately, it's very skimpy when it comes to picture sizes. It just wasn't designed for that.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but every other phone I have ever owned would send/receive pictures over text that were at least decent when opened up on he other end full screen via text. Obviously nothing you would go and print, but it looked "normal" at full resolution on the screen, as if you had taken it with your own camera but not zoomed in. The ones sent from the GS6 are only useful as the thumbnail in the conversation thread - as soon as you expand to full screen, the photo is barely usable it's so terrible. People's faces are blobs of pixels. The MMS standard can't be that bad, since it's never been an issue before this phone. The workaround thus far is to just ask people to WhatsApp me the photo...but that's an extra step. Even with high compression there should be a way to get a semi-decent photo though via text, every other phone seems to be able to do it, so that is why I was thinking the issue was with Samsung, not the carrier or MMS Standard.

I checked the details, and the MMS photos arrive from a GS6 as ~99 KB, with a resolution of 270 X 480. The same image sent through Whats App is 135 KB and 747 X 1328 (one megapixel).

To further test, I sent MMS from my Nexus 6P to my GS6, and the photos look totally fine when enlarged to full screen on the GS6 (both phones have the same screen resolution). Am I missing something or is it just the Samsung texting app?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I sent a 4.16mb picture at 5312x2988.

It was received with 311kb at 1600x900.

This was using the stock messaging app. What carrier do you have?

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I sent a 4.16mb picture at 5312x2988.

It was received with 311kb at 1600x900.

This was using the stock messaging app. What carrier do you have?

Hmm, that is even better resolution than my WhatsApp images, which is surprising. I'm on the Telus network in Canada, stock message app.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You're still going to be limited to 1MB total size for a message, including anything in addition to the picture. Anything larger (up to 25MB) should be sent via email. If it's larger than 25MB, post it on a picture site somewhere (or a public folder on your cloud account) and text or email the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox