Wireless Fast Charging, how fast is it?

mcdanielnc89

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Wireless Fast Charging

So, I know the GS6 is capable of the adaptive fast charging with the wall adapter, but why exactly does the wireless fast charge not support it. Does it charge about the same speed using the wireless charger that it does with the adaptive fast charger? I guess I am just a little confused. Please advise!

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Wireless Fast Charging

Wireless charging will never be as fast as direct (cable plugged in) charging because with wireless charging energy is lost through the conversion process. So it would require more power to get close to what you can get with a normal plugged in charger.
Also when they say fast wireless charging its being compared to previous wireless charging and not plug in charging.
So keep in mind its two entirely different types of charging and should not be compared to each other.

XDAdam

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I noticed that on the Samsung website for accessories, you can order a fast wireless charging pad. If you select the Note 5, Edge+ phones it will come up as a supported accessory. If you chose the S6/S6Edge, only the normal wireless charger shows up as a supported accessory.

Will the fast wireless charger work for the S6/S6Edge, and will it charge the phone faster than the normal Samsung wireless charger?

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

Will the fast wireless charger work for the S6/S6Edge and will it charge the phone faster than the normal Samsung wireless charger?

It will "work" in the sense that it'll charge the S6 at the same speed as the original wireless charging pad. The S6 does not support fast wireless charging; currently only the Note5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ do.

From the Fast Wireless Charging Pad page:

Samsung said:
The Fast Charge feature is compatible with only Galaxy Note5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ models.

XDAdam

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Thank you. I wonder what the difference in charging rate and time is between the two. Im guessing that fast wireless charging is the middle bridge (time-wise) between the normal wireless charger, and a wired fast charging connection.

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site

I wonder what the difference in charging rate and time is between the two.

According to this AC article:

Android Central said:
When plugged into the included Adaptive Fast Charging wall plug, the new Wireless Charging Pad will juice up a Galaxy Note 5 or S6 edge+ from dead to full in just over an hour and a half, which is considerably faster than a standard wireless charger. That's about the same pace as plugging the phone into a standard 5V / 2A (non-quick charge) wired charger, and some 40 percent faster than a "standard" Qi wireless charger.

mcdanielnc89

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I understand the they are two different things. My question I guess is, Do we know the different in time that it will take for the s6 to charge using the wireless fast charger vs the regular fast charger. from what im gathering it'll be the same. So now, do we know what the time difference is for the adaptive fast charging for the s6 compared to the charging with a wireless charger?

Also, what makes the technologies different where the s6 isn't supported for the fast charge?

Saros

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
So now, do we know what the time difference is for the adaptive fast charging for the s6 compared to the charging with a wireless charger?

There's a good rundown with a test video & explanation here: Best wireless chargers – how they work and perform (Android Authority). They're using an S6 Edge in their test, but for illustrative purposes I don't think a 50mAh difference in battery capacity significantly widens the error bars. With the caveat that it's never a good idea to run your battery to 0%, they did so for testing purposes only -- and the complete charge time with the old Qi standard is 2h40m from 0-100%

Compare that with the adaptive fast charging results on the regular S6 posted here (Droid Life).

Droid Life said:
Here is the timing breakdown during our charge:

• Started at 5%
  • 5 minutes in – 14%
  • 15 minutes in – 32%
  • 40 minutes in – 76%
  • 50 minutes in – 88%
  • 72 minutes in – 100%

Seems in line with my results charging to full from 15%-20%, a little over an hour.

Also, what makes the technologies different where the s6 isn't supported for the fast charge?

For all practical purposes the technology is the same, just that the transmission capability has been increased. While I don't intend this to be a direct comparison (different application, different units and all), think of it like the difference between USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 -- they use the same connection type, and are backward-compatible, but the new iteration is more efficient and its improved architecture allows for greater power & data transmission.

The new WPC standard, which hadn't been adopted prior to the S6's launch, allows for charging at 15 watts. The previous standard was 5w.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21