"Ok Google turn on flashlight" turns on camera?

ShortysTRM

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Saw an article that detailed some new features on Google Now, including the ability to turn on your flashlight. I use my flashlight a lot, so I thought I'd try it.

Quick note: the OIS in my camera malfunctions quite often and ends up making a buzzing sound and blurring any pics or video I take until it corrects itself.

When I asked Google Now to turn on my flashlight, it took 3-4 seconds to come on, and it was accompanied by the buzz of my OIS. If it wasn't for the sound/vibrations of the OIS error, I would never have known my camera was on. Is this yet another way for Google to collect "marketing" information?

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Doubtful they collect info this way, but heck who knows. The bigger question is why use "ok google" to turn on the flashlight? Much quicker to swipe down and press the icon. Quicker still to put it on your home screen if you use it a lot. I've yet to say "ok google" for anything, just sounds idiotic IMO. Not to mention unnecessary to do what you need.

ShortysTRM

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Honestly it's been useless for me until now. I know my phone reacts to OK Google, even though I have it mostly turned off. The flashlight is the only thing I've ever needed to access without touching my screen is my because I'd have an arm full of groceries, dirty/wet hands, or trying to find my phone on the dark without actually having it near me. I thought it might come in handy, but I don't exactly want the camera on if I've turned on the light because the power went out while I was in the shower or something lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC