Can't receive multimedia messages with Samsung Messages app, why?

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Can't receive multimedia messages with Samsung Messages app

Hi,

I can't receive multimedia messages using the stock Samsung Messages app.

I get no notification, and when I manually go into the app, I am prompted to download the message, but it never downloads.

The phone is a SM-G920T (unlocked, not carrier-specific) and my carrier is AT&T.

The Access Point Name settings are:

APN phone
MMSC http ://mmsc.mobile.att.net (space added since I can't post links)
Multimedia message proxy proxy.mobile.att.net
Multimedia message port 80
MCC 310
MNC 410
APN type default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol IPv4

Also, Mobile Data is enabled, Restrict Background Data is disabled, and Power Saving is disabled. I've also tried it with WiFi on and off to no avail.

Any suggestions before I contact AT&T?

Thanks.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: Can't receive multimedia messages with Samsung Messages app

Hi,

I can't receive multimedia messages using the stock Samsung Messages app.

I get no notification, and when I manually go into the app, I am prompted to download the message, but it never downloads.

The phone is a SM-G920T (unlocked, not carrier-specific) and my carrier is AT&T.

The Access Point Name settings are:

APN phone
MMSC http ://mmsc.mobile.att.net (space added since I can't post links)
Multimedia message proxy proxy.mobile.att.net
Multimedia message port 80
MCC 310
MNC 410
APN type default,mms,supl,hipri
APN protocol IPv4

Also, Mobile Data is enabled, Restrict Background Data is disabled, and Power Saving is disabled. I've also tried it with WiFi on and off to no avail.

Any suggestions before I contact AT&T?

Thanks.

Welcome to Android Central!

You APN settings look correct to me, have you tired using a different messaging app like ChompSMS or Textra?

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

According to AT&T, they incorrectly provisioned the SIM card as an iPhone device before mailing it to me. I have a replacement one on the way, but it seems hard to believe that they can't just change the provisioning in their system.

Also, if someone else has an AT&T account and an Galaxy S6 phone, can you sign in to see how your phone is listed? On the AT&T site, navigate to My AT&T -> Wireless -> My Phone/Device. For me, on that page, it just shows a generic smartphone graphic with the caption "DEVICE".

However, if I navigate to My AT&T -> Profile -> User Information -> Customer Service Summary, it correctly states "SM-G920T" as my phone.

jharo

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
ATT may be right with the whole SIM card thing, but give this a try; there should be a setting in the messaging app to auto retrieve MMS, make sure that is turned on. There should also be a setting for Roaming auto-retrieve, turn that on also.

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Auto retrieve MMS was already turned on.

I'm getting a 5-bar LTE signal, so I don't think it's a roaming issue. I tried turning on roaming auto retrieve anyway, but no luck.

One other thing to note. If I send a MMS message to myself, the message downloads automatically and my mobile data is deducted accordingly.

However, if I am sent a message from any other phone, even another Galaxy on my mobile share plan, the message is not auto-retrieved and, regardless of the file size, it is always identified as being 32 KB.

claykin

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site

This is probably not what you want to read, but the fix is to factory default the phone. I've seen this issue on a few different Android phones and at the end of the day a factory default resolved it every time.

Posted via the Android Central App

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Actually, I did a factory reset when I first got the phone a few weeks ago.

I did just notice something else that might shed some light on the issue.

If I turn MMS auto-retrieve off, I do receive an alert that a new message has arrived... but it still won't download.

With auto-retrieve on, I do not get the alert.

Paulette Palmieri

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

I have the note5. People are sending me photos via mms..i press download and they never download. I tried everything. Now i called Sprint 2 days ago and they claim it an issue with them since the 14th. For some reason i don't believe that. I am looking for help here too.

Posted via the Android Central App

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

The replacement SIM card finally arrived today (delayed twice by snow storm).

I'll post back after I call tech support tomorrow.

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Well, after being escalated to AT&T advanced tech support, still no luck!

I got the new SIM card activated without a problem.

Then, using the settings from his work-issued phone, I changed the APN settings to:

Name ATT Nextgenphone
APN nxtgenphone
APN type default,mms,supl,hipri,fota

We also determined that the Message Center number was different between the two phones.

Mine was originally set to +13123149810 (grayed out/read only).

After I replied to the message he sent me, it somehow got changed to +13603399740 (which matched his phone).

But the problem persists. I can send pictures just fine (to both numbers and email addresses), I just can't receive them via my number (OK to my email address).

Before reaching out to Samsung, I think I'll try a different messaging app to see if I can isolate the issue to just the Samsung Messaging app.

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

One other odd thing to note.

I just found out that I can send a picture to my own number and download it successfully.

It's only problematic when the picture comes from another number.

lucianus_luciferus

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

open messaging app and go to more - settings - more settings. push messages should be on. if not, enable it then tap on it and set service loading to always. also mms auto retrieve should be on.

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Did some more troubleshooting.

If a multimedia message is the first message in a conversation, the message will not download.

If the multimedia message is followed up with a text message, I can download the multimedia message -- but only if I attempted to download the multimedia message before the text message was received.

Regarding auto-retrieve, I've purposely turned this off since I don't have an unlimited data plan. Push messages is turned on.

xpsd300

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site

Gave up on the Samsung Messaging app after contacting both Samsung and AT&T tech support.

Wanted a similar bare-bones app and tried Google Messenger.

I can now send and receive multimedia messages just fine.

Giulia Lampasona

Feb 4, 2017
Visit site

So... my mum said she wasnt able to send or recieve mms. Did a google check as you do and this thread came up. Read all the posts. Tried everything everyone said. Didnt seem right so decided to check the network settings on the phone. Download booster was switched off. Wallah...

Fully functional mms ! = happy mum...

Maybe give that a go... might work, might not. Im in australia and not sure how networks globally work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08