Do you terminate running apps?

toy4rick

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Curious to know if apps running in the background should be terminated or leave them be for use the next time

S6 on Verizon

Thanks in advance
Rick

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If they're actually running, yes - they're using CPU and battery. If they're just still in RAM, but not running, there's no need. If Android needs the RAM space, it'll kill an app that isn't running to get it.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I never pay any attention to what's running or not. Android handles running processes quite efficiently. Odds are very good that if something is running, it should be running. Manually closing apps is contrary to how Android is designed to be used and can actually reduce performance. Please, see this for more details about why closing apps is poor practice:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4655557

You may - rarely - find a poorly coded app has failed to terminate or cache to memory properly and has 'gone rogue'. In such a case manual termination may be necessary but that's unusual.

M Stuart

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I only close all running tasks when the "recents" list becomes too cluttered to navigate. In that case I'm looking for convenience more than being worried about resources.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
That's actually not a good idea, for the same reasons. The Recent list maxes out at 50 and unfortunately that cannot be changed.. If that's too many, just go through as many as you want - 10, 20, whatever. No one is making you go through all 50. Just deal with as many as you want and ignore the rest. But don't close everything just just to keep the Recent cards short.

Now, don't get me wrong. Swiping away an app in Recent is not a Terrible Thing. That's not what I'm saying. I do it now and then myself and it's basically harmless. But doing it every time or closing apps wholesale is ultimately counterproductive.

markwasley

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
I killed the TouchWiz app on my Samsung Galaxy S6 4G and it ruined my phone! 😨 After being sent for repairs in Sydney, Vodafone decided it was beyond repair, and so today I got a brand new S6 phone. ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

RobotHeaven

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Almost all those listed are not running, but merely residing in memory.

It's generally best practice to keep them all open. Closing them regularly wastes more battery than keeping them open.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I killed the TouchWiz app on my Samsung Galaxy S6 4G and it ruined my phone! 😨 After being sent for repairs in Sydney, Vodafone decided it was beyond repair, and so today I got a brand new S6 phone. ☺

Posted via the Android Central App

What!! Really? The touchwiz supposed to restart again when you force close it. Or did you tried to uninstall it with root? Thats scary if just by closing touchwiz it bricked your phone.

Posted with ❤Love❤

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz