video playback problems

Magicman1005

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I recently upgraded the iPhone 5S to galaxy s6 and it feels like I went from a flip phone to a smartphone. All the new features are great, but video play back in apps doesn't work right anymore. The videos play, but only in the area the app defines. Controls to toggle play/pause, time, volume... are gone. This is across all apps. I try copying the URL to use a browser vs. the app but still the same issue.

I didn't root, and I am using Nova Launcher Premium instead of TouchWiz.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean by videos playing in the area the app defines? Do the videos look abnormally zoomed in? Which apps are you using?

Magicman1005

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
It's in every app. By the area the app defines, I was just on the amazon app buying something and the home page had a video for the echo. I could play the video but I can't view it any other way. If I turn my phone, the whole app turns and the video stays inside the now landscape app. I hope the pics help explain. It's very weird and I have never heard of this so I don't know how to explain it, haha.

Attachments

• 1503.jpg
    1503.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that you cannot view full screen videos in landscape mode? Do you have screen rotation enabled?

Magicman1005

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
I'm unable to view the video other than the area the app embeds the video. Turning my phone landscape just rotates the app, it doesn't toggle anything to help view the video. Like one screen shot, the app is still visible making the video unwatchable.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you tap on the video, do you see the icon in the upper right hand corner?
d5d5aa2c86084d30158dd50cae8afd48.jpg

That should make the video display full screen when rotated to landscape.
27a1b5139eeb502135599e410294f0ef.jpg

You won't see the progress of the video when it's playing unless you tap on it again.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any Developer Options turned on? Go to Settings>Developer Options, and see if there is an option to toggle between AwesomePlayer and NuPlayer. If so, toggle to whatever it currently isn't on right now.

Also, try wiping the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21095

One more thing--go to the App Manager, select Android System Webview, and see what happens if you Uninstall Updates.

Magicman1005

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
Do you have any Developer Options turned on? Go to Settings>Developer Options, and see if there is an option to toggle between AwesomePlayer and NuPlayer. If so, toggle to whatever it currently isn't on right now.

Also, try wiping the system cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21095

One more thing--go to the App Manager, select Android System Webview, and see what happens if you Uninstall Updates.

I did the toggle of the player in developer options and it looks like it's done the trick. If I notice the problem again I'll try the other two too. Thanks for all the help guys!