Samsung Pay - I'm a Moron!!

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
So I just recently activated my card on Samsung Pay to take advantage of the offer they had going for a set of free Level U wireless headphones.

I never read into it despite having it on my phone, and I had just been using Android Pay.

For some reason i was looking into the FAQ and looking online today and realized it's a completely different system and doesn't use NFC and can literally be used at almost every POS system with a card swipe!!! As long as it's not one where you insert the card, or am i wrong about this too?

I've been seeing those commercials with Hannibal Buress on them and I've just been turning to my wife and saying "that's not true at all, the store has to activate the system first!"

Holy cow do I feel like I've wasted so much time not using this thing! I'm going to start paying with EVERYTHING with my phone! Plus in a few weeks i'll be getting my new Galaxy S7 Edge and i'll be like "BAM dual edge screen and i'm payin with my phone! Everyone out of my way!!"

/nerdgasm over

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Nope, you're right. That's the appeal of Samsung Pay! You CAN use it on any terminal that is not swipe-in! You might have to fight the stubborn employee or two and if their terminal is behind the counter (i.e. Starbucks' readers are on the cashier's screen) they might not let you stretch out your hand and place the phone on their reader. And as usual, if the terminal is away from you, like in a restaurant, it's not recommended that you just hand your phone to a cashier or server (plus, once you initiate MST transmitter, it's only active for 30 seconds for security reasons, so unless your waiter is The Flash, they'd still come back and ask for your fingerprint...or cut off your thumb if you have a crazy server).

I have been using it since it came out and I barely touch my wallet now. I keep my Costco card number on Android Pay and use Samsung Pay to, well, pay. Done.

It's great to see their faces when it just works after they tried to tell you Apple Pay doesn't work with their terminals. Also, some might be shocked and claim you hacked their system (that was the reaction of the girl at Starbucks the first time I used it there, and the fact that you have to reach to their side of the screen to pay didn't help).

BTW, unlike Android Pay, you don't need to have NFC turned on at all to use Samsung Pay. Even if you defaulted to using NFC (which yeah, it's capable of) once you 'unlock' the Payment Mode, the phone will turn on whatever it needs automatically and shut it off once the payment is done or the transfer mode times out.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried it when i got my GS6 but my Wells Fargo card and my Capital One card werent accepted.
They work fine with Android pay but oh NOO not Samsung Pay. Kind of left me not liking Samsung. Im still using the phone but just not happy with the lack of support.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think a 'lack of support' towards Samsung Pay is the problem... A lack of support from your two specific banks, yup, unfortunately. I have set up my Citi, Amex, and Bank of America cards without issues and have been paying with my phone ever since.
Which banks and credit cards are compatible with Samsung Pay?

You might want to let your banks know that you want THEM to support Samsung Pay. However, from a canned response from both banks in a few forums asking when they'd support SP, it seems they want to come out with their own digital wallet first, so you might be seeing very late support from these banks or none at all.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Its unfortunate that banks dont want to work with samsung to make it work. Your not the first to mention this. My main gripe is Hey it works with Android Pay but NOT Samsung Pay. So from MY perspective i should at least be able to use the NFC part of Samsung pay. Android Pay can do it.
I know its over simplyfing but thats me.
Have a great weekend everyone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unfortunately it's the banks who are at fault here. NFC or not NFC the back-end service is what they're not supporting. Maybe Samsung is asking for a bigger cut when paying, maybe they don't like the terms they have to offer, who knows.

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Just used It today for the first time! So I held it up and it wasn't working and I was like "no this should work" so the girl goes "apple pay won't work here" so I said "it's not apple pay its just like a regular card" so she goes "hang on" and I guess pressed the button saying I was using a credit card. Tried again and BAM! Paid in about 2 seconds!

That was so nice.

Can I use like my target card on Samsung pay? Would it still give me the 5% off like normal?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just used It today for the first time! So I held it up and it wasn't working and I was like "no this should work" so the girl goes "apple pay won't work here" so I said "it's not apple pay its just like a regular card" so she goes "hang on" and I guess pressed the button saying I was using a credit card. Tried again and BAM! Paid in about 2 seconds!

That was so nice.

Can I use like my target card on Samsung pay? Would it still give me the 5% off like normal?

If the bank issuing the Target card supports Samsung Pay, yeah, it works exactly like the card (including benefits), but if it doesn't, then you won't be able to register the card with SP :(

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
If the bank issuing the Target card supports Samsung Pay, yeah, it works exactly like the card (including benefits), but if it doesn't, then you won't be able to register the card with SP :(

Just tried adding the target card and no luck. Says it's an invalid card when I added the number. Oh well. I use my regular credit card more often anyways

Tcbemis

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Okay... So after reading this post I decided to try it out. A few issues 1)my bank is not supported 2) can't recognize Discover card, so I enter it manually, it's insisting my info is incorrect (it's not) 3) same exact thing with my Target card.
Wtf? Any ideas?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked the supported card list? If it's not there it won't work with SP. Also, even though your bank may be supported, it is possible that your specific card isn't (and that's up to your bank); for instance, although Bank of America is supported, some corporate cards are restricted by the bank and won't work with SP or Android Pay.

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I tried it when i got my GS6 but my Wells Fargo card and my Capital One card werent accepted.
They work fine with Android pay but oh NOO not Samsung Pay. Kind of left me not liking Samsung. Im still using the phone but just not happy with the lack of support.

Yeah, the banks are slow in opting into Samsung Pay and/or Android Pay, but Wells Fargo is on there now (still waiting for Capital One though). Which is great because it's just in time for me to use it on my new GS7 Edge. :cool: