Turning Animations Off

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I had read somewhere tat turning off animations or setting them to 0.5x speed under the developer settings can make the phone faster. But I have also read thst it can put a lot more stress on the CPU as it has to avoid those animations to provide such quick speed. Any opinions on this?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a link to where you heard this?

What makes sense to me is that the application to animate the screen is simply an application. Settings in the app will determine the time interval of the animations. The CPU simply runs the app, so it shouldn't care what the app is set up to do. The speed of the animations are way slower than the clock speed of the CPU, so I don't think the CPU would suffer even if the setting is at 0. I would think it would actually have to work harder to slow things down. Games run fast refresh rates and I don't believe it's all GPU, so the CPU has to do work there too... certainly much quicker than the slow animations of screen changes on my devices.

Of course all my conjecture may be out of whack as I have no idea how Android is programed. I run my animations at .5 on my Note 4 and Note 10.1 with no ill effects yet.

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Do you have a link to where you heard this?

What makes sense to me is that the application to animate the screen is simply an application. Settings in the app will determine the time interval of the animations. The CPU simply runs the app, so it shouldn't care what the app is set up to do. The speed of the animations are way slower than the clock speed of the CPU, so I don't think the CPU would suffer even if the setting is at 0. I would think it would actually have to work harder to slow things down. Games run fast refresh rates and I don't believe it's all GPU, so the CPU has to do work there too... certainly much quicker than the slow animations of screen changes on my devices.

Of course all my conjecture may be out of whack as I have no idea how Android is programed. I run my animations at .5 on my Note 4 and Note 10.1 with no ill effects yet.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/speed-up-your-android-by-adjusting-animation-settings/

Here is the article I had read. But I might try it out and see how it goes.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm with nahoku on this. Changing the animation scales in the Developer Options won't make your phone run faster, but it will feel like it does :)

It's kind of a placebo effect. Any transition will be faster so the general feeling is that your phone flies. I've changed these scales in different phones and always come back to the default 1x values. Not my thing, too abrupt specially with 0x, and I prefer changing the animations from my launcher (Nova).

Try the different scales and see how you like it. And don't worry, you won't put more stress on the CPU because of this.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Speed up your Android by adjusting animation settings - CNET
Here is the article I had read. But I might try it out and see how it goes.
Thanks! I was looking for where you read it could be harmful to the CPU. I didn't see that in the article. No problem though, I'm not really worried about it.

One thing to note. This is one of the "Developer" options so in reality, while it does work, it's not meant to be used continuously. This is what I've heard about all Dev options. That being said, I'm not sure there won't be any ill effects by running this at 0 or .5. For something like this, I wouldn't think it would matter much, but there's a reason Developer options are hidden.