S6 is broken after Marshmallow update today (advice needed)

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
My S6 was working perfectly before attempting to update to Marshmalllow today on Sprint. The phone got stuck on the boot LTE screen and I reset it several times by holding the power button and volume down. I then attempted to boot and reset the cache by holding down the power, home and volume up buttons. This didn't work either. It now will sometimes go to my home screen, but then either locks up or continually resets.

I called Sprint who was no help and they told me to go to the Sprint store who had no clue what to do. I called Samsung and they said to either go to Best Buy to have them do a software re-flash or take it to their repair center.

I'm hoping to avoid a hard reset, but would that work?

Also, Samsung said if they couldn't repair it, they would sent me a refurbished one. That is not acceptable considering I have kept my phone in pristine condition for almost a year.

Any ideas or tips on how to get a new S6 if they have to replace it?

Thanks in advance.

yaddam205

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Rough. Sounds like you have exhausted all the options I would try. A hard reset would most likely fix it, and is a better option than a refurb. Is your phone rooted perchance?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I know you are trying to avoid the hard reset, but since no others have really had this issue, it may have been a hiccup. It sure beats a refurb

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. I took it to Sprint, and Best Buy tonight where the Samsung guy tried a software reflash to no avail. I'm going to the Samsung repair store tomorrow.

My phone is not rooted.

Do you guys really think a hard reset would fix it? Any ideas on how to get a new phone instead of a re-furb if it comes to that?

Thanks again.

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys. I took it to Sprint, and Best Buy tonight where the Samsung guy tried a software reflash to no avail. I'm going to the Samsung repair store tomorrow.

My phone is not rooted.

Do you guys really think a hard reset would fix it? Any ideas on how to get a new phone instead of a re-furb if it comes to that?

Thanks again.

One of the few cases I would advise a factory reset. As far as getting a new vs refurb, the only ways are a sympathetic store manager who is willing to take hassles from Samsung or Sprint over it, or if you go with the flow, take the refurb, but they are out so give you a new one. Really, a factory refurb should be as new and are typically tested more than new ones. While it is possible for a flaky one to sneak through, probably less likely than with a new one.

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would do the factory reset, because that is what Samsung would probably do if you give it to them to fix the issue. Besides, I always do a factory reset after a major OS update to make sure I'm starting fresh. I know its a pain because you have to reload your apps and reconfigure your settings, etc but it will give you an absolute clean start.

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up taking it to a Samsung repair center and they said the update fried the motherboard. They are shipping it off to the headquarters in Plano, TX to be fixed. I guess I just had really bad luck.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had such a bad experience with the repair center, they told me the first time I sent my phone "you only need to remove the fingerprint lock" so I did, welp they sent it back... wait around 2 weeks and tried to send it again... they lost it for about 9 days... then another 4 days to fix it. As soon as I got it back and made sure everything worked I sold it on eBay for $380 and bought a new one for $419

didn't want to deal with the repair center anymore

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had such a bad experience with the repair center, they told me the first time I sent my phone "you only need to remove the fingerprint lock" so I did, welp they sent it back... wait around 2 weeks and tried to send it again... they lost it for about 9 days... then another 4 days to fix it. As soon as I got it back and made sure everything worked I sold it on eBay for $380 and bought a new one for $419

I hear ya! I am not a fan of shipping off my devices for repair either. I am anal when it comes to my phone. Day 1, the second that box is opened. I don't even let my provider touch it. I already have a brand new OtterBox waiting to stick it in, I get anxiety when they try and peel off the plastic.
When I brought my phone in for repair, I had to take it out of the case, the girl puts it on the counter and the other moron employee comes out with a large, heavy box and plops it right on top of my phone. I wasn't impressed. And god only knows what happens after you leave, during shipping etc.
Uggg, I would have bought a new one as well!

Aggie PT

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site

Where did you get a new one for that price?

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Where did you get a new one for that price?

there was a special on eBay, it was $419.99 for a brand new unopened GS6 (G920i) it works perfectly with T-Mobile here in the US so I am perfectly happy. (wish I had Samsung pay but android pay is good enough)

I'm thinking about selling my S6 currently for around $400 and whenever eBay has another crazy special for the s7 (around $500 for the regular s7) I'm gonna buy it.

People been posting on reviews that they are getting 5+ hours of SoT which is enough for me to ditch the IR blaster.

I guess you really CANT have it all lol

(BTW I have no idea what the guys above me meant when he said he's anal with his phones lmao)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12