Pros and Cons of Updating to Marshmallow (6.0.1)

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I thought I would give my opinion of pros and cons I've found so far of (finally) Updating my GS6 (G920i) to 6.0.1

PROS----------------

Everything is smoother, from transitions to app opening it feels amazing. Feels close to like a stock android device to me

Now on tap is awesome, me and a friend was texting a few days ago about Hardcore Henry and now on tap showed me a trailer to it very cool

Ram management is a lot better, I ran Pandora and switched between 5 games then took a video selfie and went back to a game without a hiccup exactly where I left off. And I tried this exact scenario before updating to see if I could do it once updated and it didn't work. Good job Sammy

Animations, everything from going home or opening a folder with apps in it is much more nice looking then before. AND the beauty of android is of you don't like them turn them off

CONS-------------------

My favorite theme is now broken, and it was made around 9 months ago I tried looking for it in the store to leave a review and ask for an update and its not even there anymore. And its broken pretty badly.

Lockscreen weather is gone, like seriously what the hell is that all about?

the settings button I'm the notification shade has moved which bothers me lol

It's wayyyyy to early to comment on dose or battery life but I will be updating this list for the next few days and adding more pros and cons as I find them.

How do you guys like 6.0 so far?

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
From experience over the past week of marshmallow is that doze does nothing to help battery life.

Personally, I can't wait to do away with the S6. Battery life is too poor and outweighs any pros about the phone.

amerinamese

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The thing that bothers me most is I can't change my fonts. All the fonts I had downloaded previously don't work and neither does the HiFont app.

jimmyjam22

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
About 12 hrs with new update on SM 920I
As said above very smooth, better RAM management, no hiccups, didn't loose anything during install. To early to comment on battery.
Not really a con but drove thru non cell area backwoods and GPS got me lost but I should have DL my map or used here" map.
I had hoped for Samsung Pay but not going to happen. I got a quick response from Samsung that "they didn't know when Pay would be available for the SM 920I international version".
Overall pleased with 6.0.1 and the timely manner received.

Posted via the Android Central App

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually laugh at the people that whine about Fonts and Themes not working. But most of the same people are complaining about battery life.
I run no animations, no themes, and I use the default font. My Background is pure black. And my battery is fine with pretty descent use all night while I work.
I get home, toss it on the wireless charger and it's good to go another night. And I am still on Lollipop.
You can't complain about battery life when you aren't doing anything to optimize it!

Jaykaylfc

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
The only problem I have, is since I updated, unlocking my phone via my finger print is very temperamental. I'm not sure if it's my thumb print, or its been caused by the update.

Am i alone one this one?

I might try another finger

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I actually laugh at the people that whine about Fonts and Themes not working. But most of the same people are complaining about battery life.
I run no animations, no themes, and I use the default font. My Background is pure black. And my battery is fine with pretty descent use all night while I work.
I get home, toss it on the wireless charger and it's good to go another night. And I am still on Lollipop.
You can't complain about battery life when you aren't doing anything to optimize it!

well, I get what you are saying.... but my Xperia Z1 had theme support as well and I was getting close to 7 hours of SoT with that phone.

I've disabled everything every website/forum told me to and ran pure black themes on this GS6 and average around 3 hours (I got lucky 1 day in a 12 hour day I had 4:30 SoT with the same exact usage I pretty much do every day so I don't know what's up with this phone)

2550mAh with a QHD screen was a bad idea from the start, even Samsung realized this and gave the S7 a 3000mAh battery

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
The only problem I have, is since I updated, unlocking my phone via my finger print is very temperamental. I'm not sure if it's my thumb print, or its been caused by the update.

Am i alone one this one?

I might try another finger

I'm not sure what you mean by that, my fingerprint scanner feels faster and hasn't failed me once since I updated

Jaykaylfc

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah my mate said the same, it could be my thumb. My hands have been a bit battered with work the last week or so

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
My S6 works very fine on 5.1.1, I am actually not looking forward to 6.0. The only reason I want the update is for Android auto but even for that people complain about connectivity issues...S6 running 5.1.1 with Nova prime runs exceptionally well. I do admit might next phone will be a Nexus or Moto, I got a taste of 6.0 on a Moto and ya... Its awesome.

Johnny Abatti

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Slightly worse battery life after updating to MM, but a cache wipe seems to solve that issue (I still don't know what battery saving approach is used, posted the question in this forum). Best features of MM seem to be application rights control and up to date security patch level (March 2016 in my case). You never know... ;-)

amerinamese

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've never once complained about battery life. I just want my fonts to work.

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I should be able to buy a phone and not worry about what themes and backgrounds you have, or whether you run it with animations or not. I shouldn't have to think "Is my battery going to last the day or do I need to charge it again?".

You buy a premium phone for the niceties.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I should be able to buy a phone and not worry about what themes and backgrounds you have, or whether you run it with animations or not. I shouldn't have to think "Is my battery going to last the day or do I need to charge it again?".

You buy a premium phone for the niceties.

That's like saying "I should be able to buy a car that's top speed is 150mph and expecting to always drive at 150MPH"
You are also downloading 3rd party themes, not created or tested by Samsung. I don't care how good your phone is, some of the crap themes I have seen use so much CPU and memory it blows my mind.
The way I see it, and yes, everyone is entitled to their opinion, so here is mine, when I buy a Flagship, performance phone, I do so not so I can load it with a bunch of crap, I use it for making phone calls, doing email, alarms, reminders, etc. My last worry is looking for some pretty theme that is going to bog down my phone. But that's just me.

soundchaser59

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
I just updated to 6.0.1
Why the h3|| did they link the ring volume and the notification volume together? They weren't linked before, but this update has them locked at the hip. Now I can't change my ring volume without changing my notification volume, and vice versa.

Worse yet, there is no option to unlink them. I shouldn't have to download and buy an app just to control native functions on this phone. I need my ringer to be loud and my text message notification to be soft.

What the heck were you programmers thinking?

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
I just updated to 6.0.1
Why the h3|| did they link the ring volume and the notification volume together? They weren't linked before, but this update has them locked at the hip. Now I can't change my ring volume without changing my notification volume, and vice versa.

Worse yet, there is no option to unlink them. I shouldn't have to download and buy an app just to control native functions on this phone. I need my ringer to be loud and my text message notification to be soft.

What the heck were you programmers thinking?

I am curious to what S6 you have exactly because I have a G920i model and I do not have this "problem" (honestly I would love if my phone did this, I hate putting my ringer slow but my sms is still loud)