Smart Lock -> Trusted Places does not work

barneytoe

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
I had problems before MM update with trusted places, so figured I'd re-test and sadly it still doesn't work. Phone continues to remain locked even when I'm at a trusted place.

So I attempted to start from scratch after MM update: From Settings->Lock screen & security -> Secure Lock settings -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Places, I've gone in and disabled HOME and removed all other addresses. So there's nothing turned on.

Restart phone and am surprised to see 2 addresses enabled again even though I just deleted or disabled them. The 2 addresses that are active again are HOME and an address from my saved addresses.

So there are really 2 problems here: trusted places doesn't work AND I can't seem to remove the addresses.

My Location method is set to "High accuracy" and I'm using screen lock type = "pattern".

Any ideas ?

thanks,
chris

Last edited:

coldfilter

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
The smartlock features on my phone don't work either. I assumed it was because I use the fingerprint scanner disabled them for some reason.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you say you're using swipe to unlock, is that the actual screen lock method? Or is this a separate setting that determines if you have to swipe away an initial screen in order to get to the password entry screen? If the latter, then turn off the swipe option

When you're at home, open Maps and make sure it is in fact locating you precisely at home, and not a few hundred yards off. It should be precise with High Accuracy, but if something is wrong with the GPS signal, it might have trouble pinpointing your exact location.

barneytoe

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Yes, actual screen lock method. I never enter pwd anywhere, only swipe my pattern.

Google maps is very precise, the blue dot is inside my house :)

stang6790

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Swipe is not an actual lock method that keeps someone from accessing your phone, smart lock will not disable it. If you use any of the other lock methods (pattern, pin, password or fingerprint) it will bypass it but you will still have to swipe.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I was actually wondering about that, because I was a little confused by the OP's posts. Are you using a simple Swipe to Unlock, or an actual Pattern Unlock?

barneytoe

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for ambiguity, I'm using screen lock type = "pattern". It's worth noting that if screen lock type = "swype", one cannot even get to trusted places setting.

I don't see a clear credentials anywhere under security (MM OS).

barneytoe

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Found it. "Clear credentials" is greyed out, so instead I went into View security certs and disabled them 1 by 1. We'll see if this helps.

JustSpecial

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
My wife's S6 suddenly started having problems with trusted locations today.

With her phone, I tried to used the Smart Lock utility to determine my current location as a trusted place, it could not find my home address and just say "location unknown", or something similar to that. It would try to use a location just behind my house that is school yard. This would happen, even when I had GPS set to High Accuracy and Wifi set to "Always allow scanning".

Originally, WiFi was turned off on her phone, once turned on, everything started working properly. I assumed if WiFi was set to "Always allow scanning", that Smart Lock would also be able to use the Wifi to determine then current location, even it is off.

I hope this helps.

AND6300

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X PURE (2015) which has a GPS built in, I shouldn't need to have DATA or WiFi on for Smart locks to work properly, I think Google Developers rushed this out without thoroughly testing it. Or, they can care less about this feature that sounds cool, but is absolutely worthless.

RK928

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Anyone find a good answer to this problem? I've searched all over the internet and tried every suggestion, but the trusted places still doesn't work. It used to work fine until a few weeks ago, I don't know what happened, it knows exactly where I am, high accuracy settings, etc. and it still doesn't work. PIA actually, I have to enter my 8-digit PIN every time at home. Like I said, it was working no problem before. Phone is a nearly new Moto X Pure.

Hjalte N

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
I had problems before MM update with trusted places, so figured I'd re-test and sadly it still doesn't work. Phone continues to remain locked even when I'm at a trusted place.

So I attempted to start from scratch after MM update: From Settings->Lock screen & security -> Secure Lock settings -> Smart Lock -> Trusted Places, I've gone in and disabled HOME and removed all other addresses. So there's nothing turned on.

Restart phone and am surprised to see 2 addresses enabled again even though I just deleted or disabled them. The 2 addresses that are active again are HOME and an address from my saved addresses.

So there are really 2 problems here: trusted places doesn't work AND I can't seem to remove the addresses.

My Location method is set to "High accuracy" and I'm using screen lock type = "pattern".

Any ideas ?

thanks,
chris

PLAUSIBLE SOLUTION.
I've encountered the same problem with my android phone over the past few weeks and I think I've found a solution. I think it has something to do with Qualcomms location service. A few weeks ago I turned it on for some days as an experiment but today I connected it with the smart lock issue. It seams that even though Qualcomms izat is tuned off under locating settings the process is still running if you go to the running apps tab. If I kill the process called "com.qualcomm.location.xt" smart lock suddenly works again. A restart of the phone annoyingly starts the process again. Sometimes the running process is listed under cashed apps and then it doesn't always help, but a reboot seams to solve that .

Hjalte N

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE
I've now tested further and this works. Even though I turned off Qualcomms izat technology the process kept starting and kept running. To stop this I did the following:
- Make sure Qualcomms izat technology is turned off (Samsung may call it by different name)
- clear the Google play services app
- reboot
- go to smart lock and create you safe locations (everything gets cleared when resetting Google play services)
Thats it. And then never turn on izat again.
You may have to reenter data again in apps relying on Google play services ie. Google fit.

danhenley1

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE
I've now tested further and this works. Even though I turned off Qualcomms izat technology the process kept starting and kept running. To stop this I did the following:
- Make sure Qualcomms izat technology is turned off (Samsung may call it by different name)

My god. This is why people buy iPhones.

NotFromHere

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My god. This is why people buy iPhones.

No kidding.

I don't have com.qualcomm.location.xt running on my phone at all, but I've been having this same problem. My home is set as my trusted place, and it used to work fine to simply swipe up to unlock my phone at home. Now it doesn't. Seems like every now and then it will work (seems to help to open Google Maps to wake up the GPS or something like that), but I can't get consistent results with anything that I try. Most of the time it simply doesn't work at this point.

laurelnaiad

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site

That put me on to what worked for me -- just switching location services from high accuracy, to battery saving, and back to high accuracy fixed my Moto X Pure trusted places.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11