Downgrade Marshmallow?

A

AC Question

Downgrade marshmallow

Any way to downgrade from Marshmallow? I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 on Sprint
I really hate it.
Issues:
swipe, then enter PIN?
Not getting calls (callers cannot even leave a message)
Location needs to be turned on for the stupidest reasons (Fitbit does not need location)
Wallpaper changes back to the default wallpaper after restarting and sometimes just randomly.
Battery is draining faster then before the upgrade.
Apps are opening while the phone is in my pocket.
Phone awakens when it is just sitting, very randomly. No notifications or anything coming up.
Thinking I may just bite the bullet and go with iPhone at my next phone purchase.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Downgrade marshmallow

Welcome to Android Central! You could try flashing the official Lollipop ROM for your exact model using Odin: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

To address your specific complaints:

swipe, then enter PIN?
I've seen other complaints about this, but this is pretty much how it is on "stock" Android on Nexus devices. It may be somewhat inconvenient, but it's meant to prevent accidental unlock attempts while the phone is in your pocket or bag. If the phone happens to turn on, and then there are unintended screen touches, the phone might interpret this as unsuccessful login attempts. Then, before you know it, you're locked out. I typically use Smart Lock or the fingerprint sensor on my phones, so this is almost never an issue for me.

Do you mean that you never receive calls? Are you able to make calls without difficulty? Are you certain that you don't have Do Not Disturb or Priority Mode turned on? Have you spoken to your carrier about this? Perhaps they might need to give you a replacement SIM card.

Location needs to be turned on for the stupidest reasons (Fitbit does not need location)
This is really dependent on the app, and not Marshmallow. Fitness devices usually do ask for location, because that's how they determine if you're moving or not, and how far you've walked/jogged/biked.

Wallpaper changes back to the default wallpaper after restarting and sometimes just randomly.
I've seen other complaints about this as well. Probably a glitch.

It would help to see some battery stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Do you mean that you take the phone out of your pocket and the screen is on, with an app opened? Do you have any screen lock set up?

Phone awakens when it is just sitting, very randomly. No notifications or anything coming up.
Is Smart Stay turned on?

One thing I usually recommend for issues after a major system update is to wipe the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21095. You can also try booting into Safe Mode, which can help you figure out if 3rd party apps that you installed are causing some of the issues (which can happen sometimes due to compatibility issues between the app and the updated system). https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-21007

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

A factory reset would probably be a great idea. Otherwise.... The new iPhone SE was just announced. Seems inexpensive and tiny! Goooo get it!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Any way to downgrade from Marshmallow? I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 on Sprint
I really hate it.
Issues:
swipe, then enter PIN?
Thinking I may just bite the bullet and go with iPhone at my next phone purchase.....

Factory reset see if that fixes all the issue. Major updates can cause some issues if they don't go right. Factory reset usually clears out all the bugs.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

Factory reset see if that fixes all the issue. Major updates can cause some issues if they don't go right. Factory reset usually clears out all the bugs.
What they both said. Factory Reset. You'll thank us. Short version- File systems are pointers to information. Go THERE [points to spot in memory] get THAT [Points to item it should find there]. After an update to an OS the entire file structure CHANGES. So now, App says go THERE[points] and find THAT[item] except one or both of those things has changed. This equals epic fail.

ravendragonwing

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

Regarding getting calls: I receive some calls, but not others. People who have called have told me that they get the message "This user is not accepting calls right now" Privacy/Do not disturb is not on. Not sure how SIM cards work on the Sprint network.

Fitbit has never needed location on before, I called them and they said that Android made it a requirement. Fitbit is a wearable device that syncs with your mobile device via bluetooth.

Battery: what? there is no cell signal strength there.......What I do have under battery, a picture of a battery and estimated time left, power saving mode with estimated power left and ultra power saving mode with estimated power left.Screenshot_20160407-114506.jpg

Apps being opened: no, I unlock my phone and a random app is open, especially ones I never use, like S voice.

Smart stay is not on, I will have the phone with a blank screen and all of the sudden it lights up to the swipe screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160405-090753.jpg
    Screenshot_20160405-090753.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29

ravendragonwing

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

Did a factory reset, still have these issues:
swipe then PIN
location needed for apps that really do not need location on
battery life is awful.
The apps being open after unlocking my phone and the phone waking itself up has not happened, yet.
Wallpaper seems to be set now.
Unknown on the phone calls too, unless someone tells me that they cannot get through, i will not know.
Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Regarding getting calls: I receive some calls, but not others. People who have called have told me that they get the message "This user is not accepting calls right now" Privacy/Do not disturb is not on. Not sure how SIM cards work on the Sprint network.
This is most likely a Sprint issue. Have you asked them about it?

Battery: what? there is no cell signal strength there
Not all devices have a native way of showing the cell signal strength. You can install a 3rd party battery monitor app like GSam Battery Monitor to give you that information. And the screenshot you posted does not reflect the other information I had suggested in my post. Make sure you charge up to 100% first, then use the phone normally until the battery level is down to 20-30% (not down by 20-30%). Then show us screenshots of what I suggested, as long as they can be displayed in your phone. If you can't find a list of battery usage by app in the Settings>Battery​ menu, then look in the App Manager.

thbrass

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Yep same here. I'm a user not a developer. Just had to enable developer mode to (settings->About->Build Number hit 7 times. Really?) just to enable MTP usb mode so I can get the fs to mount on my Linux box like it used to. No doubt I'll have to reverse this to get charging to work again and redo every time I want to mount the fs. 6 hours to recharge--used to take 15 minutes. The list goes on. Pathetic.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Yep same here. I'm a user not a developer. Just had to enable developer mode to (settings->About->Build Number hit 7 times. Really?) just to enable MTP usb mode so I can get the fs to mount on my Linux box like it used to. No doubt I'll have to reverse this to get charging to work again and redo every time I want to mount the fs. 6 hours to recharge--used to take 15 minutes. The list goes on. Pathetic.

Out of curiosity, have you done a factory reset?