Why won't my Galaxy S6 with Android 6.0 connect to a PC?

A

AC Question

Galaxy s6 with android 6.0 wont connect to a PC

I have a verizon galaxy s6 with marshmallow on it.

Used to I could just connect to my pc and browse my phone on it no problem to drag off pictures, videos or see all the file folders.

I updated to marshmallow a couple days ago and I hooked it to my pc today. When I hook it up I know it is because its starts charging off the pc but windows 7 gives me new device noise like usual, no dialouge box, no nothing.

What do I need to do?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy s6 with android 6.0 wont connect to a PC

I've seen a few complaints of the same thing. It may be that the latest Verizon update killed something that transfers files. If Verizon can't fix it or revert it to the pre-update state, you're going to have to wait for the update that fixes the problem.

djm1947

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

You can also permanently change it in settings > developer settings > USB configuration. Hold the MTP rather than tap it. It will continue to charge but you avoid the swipe when connecting to the computer.

If you do not have Developer settings you can go to settings> about > and tap build number 7 times and then go back to settings and you should see Developer near the bottom of the page.

CopywriterAlan

May 2, 2016
Visit site
None of the advice given worked for me until I tried using the original Samsung cable.

A cable that was working fine before the unwanted and unasked for "update", stopped working. The Samsung cable finally got things working again.

And as expected, this "update" is already killing my battery - and the S6 battery was pathetic to start with.

Edgar Estrada1

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

I have a verizon galaxy s6 with marshmallow on it.

Used to I could just connect to my pc and browse my phone on it no problem to drag off pictures, videos or see all the file folders.

I updated to marshmallow a couple days ago and I hooked it to my pc today. When I hook it up I know it is because its starts charging off the pc but windows 7 gives me new device noise like usual, no dialouge box, no nothing.

What do I need to do?

I have the same problem, but the status bar does not show anything about usb connections. when I connect the device to the PC shows the charging battery icon.

please
What do I need to do?
Thanks

SportsPhotoGuy

Sep 21, 2016
Visit site
Turning on Developer Settings seems to be necessary before any of the USB options are displayed. See djm1947's "7 times" suggestion above. That is what worked for me.

radcake

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site

you need to pull down that status bar and check the notification area

So, I made an account just to contribute to this because it was driving me bonkers. I have an S6 and a Macbook Pro with Retina.

1. Go into settings and tap "About Phone". Then scroll down until you see "Build Number". Tap 7 times. It'll tell you how many taps you need to open Developer Options.
2. Go back to the main menu and find "Developer Options". It's right about "About Phone" now.
3. Tap "USB Debugging".

Now if your experience is like mine, this is where all the advice stops working. I can't tap and change the USB Configuration because it doesn't exist on any of my menus, and I even ran searches on it. It DOES NOT show up on the Developer Options menu for me. I tried flicking down the notification drop-down screen, but that just told me I was charging; no options to change to MTP there either.

3. Plug in phone cable to laptop and phone. Restart laptop. (I tried restarting my phone but that did nothing).
4. Apple Finder will look for the USB ID as it restarts and will trigger your phone to connect as a media transfer (MTP).
5. If you open the drop-down notification screen on your phone, you will now see an option to switch between MTP and PTP. Like everyone else gets to without all this, for some reason.
6. Use Android File Transfer to handle your bizness. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.
7. Question is this is so damn hard, and if it's really worth it to go through all of this just to upload a couple of Jane Llewellyn Monae songs onto your phone for your morning jog.

Last edited by a moderator: