GMail App: Deleted E-Mails reappear for IMAP connected e-mails

patdj

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Cheers,

I have been searching the board for a solution to this problem, and while there are many threads with this topic, none of them could provide me with a solution.

I have a Galaxy S6 (SM-G920F) with Android 6.0.1, GMail App is up to date.

In addition to my google account I have several other mail accounts running through the GMail app, from German freemail providers web.de and gmx.de, all set up via IMAP and all of them working comparatively fine (only other issue is that sent e-mails take a bit long to send but they succeed after a frew minutes). My problem is that I have to delete mails several times before them to actually be deleted. Most of the times they just disappear for a second and are redownloaded as soon as the app resyncs. It is driving me crazy.

A few things I have noticed:
The "Bin" Folder in the app translates into "Trash" on the server. That is however not the standard trash-folder of the server, might be a language issue.
However, it seems that the app fails to move the deleted mails into the "Bin". I have never seen a mail in there, not even before syncing.
Sometimes I have the impression that if I delete a lot of mails in a row, only a few of them reappear. It might maybe only be one per mail address, not quite sure.
The GMail address does not have this issue. Mails seem to remain deleted on that account. Can not confirm that 100%, cause I hardly get normal mail traffic there, but it is true for Social, Promotion and Reminder mails.

Has anyone of you got an idea how to fix this? I have
- run through all the setting looking for possible ways to correct this
- cleared app data of GMail and reconnected to the Google and other accounts.
- gone through the settings of the mail server to look for solutions.

I am not particularly interested in a factory reset, nor do I believe that that's fix it, since this problem seems to trouble many users on many different phones. I also would like to remain on IMAP and not switch to POP3. I would consider another app, but priority would be to fix GMail app.

Any ideas? I promise to be responsive about any question you might have in order to help me!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The none gmail accounts email remain on their own servers. You have to go into each account's settings(which I don't think you can do in Gmail app) and set to "delete when deleted on device"

I found maildroid to handle various types of accounts from a variety of isp's very well.

patdj

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Well, they do not reappear infinitely. So after 5 to 10 tries the mail is successfully moved to the trash. If that was the issue I'd guess they d never disappear entirely, right?

kazafog

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Driving me insane also, on s7. Gmail app with a Gmail and hotmail account and the hotmail account does it but Gmail does not appear to, not a lot of traffic also. Usually I only have to delete twice and even then not all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo