I have the S7. My thoughts on why you shouldn't update.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
If you haven't that is.

I'm going to keep it short and sweet. I've had the S6 Gold platinum. And I currently own the S7 silver titanium. Trust me, the only thing you'll notice different is the battery life. Nothing else. Of course waterproofing too if you're into it. But that's it.

So don't update. If you don't need to. And if you haven't already.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And SD Card. And monthly security updates (so far). And better slow-motion video. And better low-light pictures ('normal' pictures, I agree, you probably wouldn't notice a difference or might even favor the S6 just because of the higher pixel count).

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
And SD Card. And monthly security updates (so far). And better slow-motion video. And better low-light pictures ('normal' pictures, I agree, you probably wouldn't notice a difference or might even favor the S6 just because of the higher pixel count).

If you want more than 32GB then yes. I think 32 is enough. Haven't even put an SD card in mine. No adoptable storage. The S6 is receiving updates! I can assure you it is. My international s6 and s6 edge were. Probably more than my current S7.

Camera is the same man. I take a lot of photos. They're the same. Slow motion aside. They're the same. I take my photography very seriously. They're the same.

Rob Chew

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a 64GB S6 so space is not an issue for me. My son has a new S7 Edge. I have to agree with Rizwan. The photos are just about the same. I don't care about slow motion. I don't use my phone in the rain or shower. Yes, both the S7 and S7 Edge are nice phones, but I still feel they are just an incremental upgrade. I was seriously considering upgrading being frustrated with AT&T's lack of updates. After yesterday's upgrade to Android 6.01, my S6 feels like a new device. I'll wait until next year (or longer) and keep that $700+ in my bank account.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a 64GB S6 so space is not an issue for me. My son has a new S7 Edge. I have to agree with Rizwan. The photos are just about the same. I don't care about slow motion. I don't use my phone in the rain or shower. Yes, both the S7 and S7 Edge are nice phones, but I still feel they are just an incremental upgrade. I was seriously considering upgrading being frustrated with AT&T's lack of updates. After yesterday's upgrade to Android 6.01, my S6 feels like a new device. I'll wait until next year (or longer) and keep that $700+ in my bank account.

In future you should try your best to find the unlocked models if you want to go Samsung route. Updates are important!

And I agree. Give it time you'll love it even more. I felt the same way when I got the update on the S6.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
No IR Blaster (I use it every day)

Thicker (I know better battery life but I love the sleekness of my device)

Headphone jack is "quieter" (I use a aux wire and my s6 is low to me as it is... now.even lower volume?)

Regular speaker is not as loud (I did a test in a store listened to the same exact MP3 file on the same exact website with bought phones at full volume my s6 was louder and more oomph-ier)

this one is picky/personal preference but I hate because the sides aren't flat like on my S6

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of upgrading, but after the update to 6.0.1 my S6 is buttery smooth. The only complaint I ever had was the battery, but that seems better now too. I've also been told the internal sound on the S6 is better. Guess I'll wait another year.

Shon123

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I was thinking about updating solely due to my S6's bad battery life. I'm finally on Marshmallow and it's a tad better(not a whole lot) but I'll deal with it. I also use the IR blaster on my phone for my TV since some of the buttons on my remote arent working, so this is another reason I'll hold on to my s6!

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No IR Blaster (I use it every day)

Thicker (I know better battery life but I love the sleekness of my device)

Headphone jack is "quieter" (I use a aux wire and my s6 is low to me as it is... now.even lower volume?)

Regular speaker is not as loud (I did a test in a store listened to the same exact MP3 file on the same exact website with bought phones at full volume my s6 was louder and more oomph-ier)

this one is picky/personal preference but I hate because the sides aren't flat like on my S6

Well I have to say, regarding the thickness, it feels much much much better in hands. It's amazing what a little thickness and curves can do to help in handling. I've used the S6 without case and I can assure you this looks just as sleek and handling is improved a lot! However, the S6 still looks amazing to me. Even though if it's not as ergonomic. Those flat sides were really nice to look at. Yes!

For sound, I'd say they're almost the same. I listen to a lot of music. I didn't find any differences in loudness or anything. But that's just me. And I'm talking about both internal and external speakers.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
For sound, I'd say they're almost the same. I listen to a lot of music. I didn't find any differences in loudness or anything. But that's just me. And I'm talking about both internal and external speakers.

Could be because I listen to DubStep and techno songs with a lot going on and I've kinda trained myself I guess you could say to hear certain sounds playing and for example the Rift and Kick sounds seemed louder on my S6 then the store S7. Could've been the S7 at the store was messed up but I heard what I heard and that was a total turn off for me.

My car has an aux plug in and every android phone seems to sound low when plugged in compared to my iPod/gf iPhone. the only thing that was as loud for me was my HTC One (m7) so this S6 is at like borderline of being almost quite on my radio, reading reviews that the headphone jack was lower (due to waterproofing...?) that was also a huge turn off for me. I am constantly on business trips and I like to listen to podcast and stuff and with my last android phone I almost rooted it to try and make it louder cause you couldn't hear anything.

jimmyjam22

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
Lack of IR blaster on the S7 is a deal breaker for me.
I love the unlocked version of my S6 but hate not having Samsung Pay.
Boo to Samsung for those misleading TV commercials for Samsung Pay because it doesn't work on unlocked or international versions.
Posted from my S6

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
The bad battery life might be enough sadly. I charge my phone from 3 times a day :/

My unit doesn't have bad battery life. It's very very good. With the S6 I used to get 3 hours of SOT with my use. With this one I get 5-6 hours of SOT with the same use.

For me as I said before, the battery life is the only factor that is worth upgrading.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
With the S6 I used to get 3 hours of SOT with my use. With this one I get 5-6 hours of SOT with the same use.

I am so tempted to upgrade on that alone, but I can't imagine losing my 16:9 camera at 16mp (on the S7 it's only 16:9 at 9mp I believe)

My phone died out on me at 12am after a12 hours of the charger right below 3 Hours of SoT, it's so frustrating to have a phone die out on you when you need it most, My old Xperia Z1 Compact lasted 2 days (48 hours) with 6 hours of SoT no problem.

Is that the Regular S7 of the Edge? I don't like big phones and 5.1 inch is like the borderline of how big of a phone ill buy

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I am so tempted to upgrade on that alone, but I can't imagine losing my 16:9 camera at 16mp (on the S7 it's only 16:9 at 9mp I believe)

My phone died out on me at 12am after a12 hours of the charger right below 3 Hours of SoT, it's so frustrating to have a phone die out on you when you need it most, My old Xperia Z1 Compact lasted 2 days (48 hours) with 6 hours of SoT no problem.

Is that the Regular S7 of the Edge? I don't like big phones and 5.1 inch is like the borderline of how big of a phone ill buy

It's the regular S7.

If battery is a priority then you should make a compromise and go for the bigger Edge model. While I have definitely felt a difference in battery life with the regular one it is only around 30% better. With the Edge I would imagine it to be even greater.

And I take a lot of photos as well. And this aspect ratio thing bothered me too. I usually take daylight photos so I was also concerned about the mega pixel count as I crop and compose my photos after I take them. Having used this camera, I can safely say, it is the same. I mean technically the results might NOT be 100% the same. But the experience is over all the same. The 16:9 ratio looked better for sure. But I've almost forgotten about it and it doesn't bother me anymore. So I think your camera experience will remain the same. Plus I think the low light capability has been vastly improved. I could see the stars in the sky very clearly.

So to sum up. Battery life is better by almost 30%. The Camera experience has remained the same. For me.

leeroyy

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'll 2nd that my S6 feels like a new phone after the update. I was frustrated and almost wanted to go get the S7. Glad I waited. My phone is in great shape, only a year old. I will keep it another year.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Well in my opinion the battery makes all the difference in the world. I stopped using my S6 after five months because of the abysmal battery life and went back to the iPhone six plus. Now that the battery life has increased substantially I couldn't imagine using any other phone

Tran Tho

May 14, 2016
Visit site
Well in my opinion the battery makes all the difference in the world. I stopped using my S6 after five months because of the abysmal battery life and went back to the iPhone six plus. Now that the battery life has increased substantially I couldn't imagine using any other phone

Not that bad. My husband has iphone 5s and the battery is bad too. So it depends on demand and money, iphone 6 plus is more expensive and charged slower.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC