Location Methods Settings Keeps switching in Marshmallow

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I recently upgraded my AT&T S6 to Marshmallow, and I noticed the following:

1) I go to "Settings->Personal->Privacy & Safety->Location->Locating method" and I I set it to "Wi-Fi and mobile networks", then turn on Location.
2) In the notification shade, I tap the location quick setting icon (looks like a drop pin).
3) When I check my Settings again, it switches the locating method to "GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks"

So, by tapping the location icon quick setting in the notification shade Marshmallow adds GPS to the locating method! I don't remember Lollipop changing the locating method like this does in MM.

What I'd like, is a way to quickly turn on/off GPS without having the locating method settting change. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Update: Actually, if I turn off and on the location setting it always reverts back to using "GPS, WiFI and Mobile Networks". I don't believe Lollipop did this.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It is most likely caused by the personal safety and emergency calling that is active. It activates the gps and other location methods by default to give the best location of your position in an emergency.

Ps. Google on tap will also force the gps on and will keep searching and locating as you move around during the day /night

Some of the social media apps will do the same.

Last edited:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
It is most likely caused by the personal safety and emergency calling that is active. It activates the gps and other location methods by default to give the best location of your position in an emergency.
Thanks for that suggestion. Do you know if that emergency calling feature is a setting that can be turned off? I can't seem to find any option on my Galaxy S6.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In settings
Screenshot_20160613-111853.jpgScreenshot_20160613-111925.jpg
and the SOS settings
Screenshot_20160613-112257.jpg
A full description of the SOS function is available in the online user guide on the phone

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My s6 is an international unlocked version. Could be carrier related. Do you see no "emergency calling" or SOS facility in the settings?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie