Muting on the Galaxy S6 - not an option when holding down power button on my phone

mujibyepi

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy S6, replacing my S4 with it. I have a question regarding putting the phone into mute or vibrate. With my S4, one of the ways to do this was to hold the power button and the option to mute or put into vibrate would come up. I googled it for the S6, and it says this method is also available on the S6.

However, when I do an extended press of the power button on my S6, it does not give me the mute or vibrate options. The only options that appear are Power off, Airplane mode, Restart, and Emergency mode. I'm confused and wonder if something is wrong with the software on my phone? The only way it appears I can mute my phone is with the volume button, or by dragging the notification bar down on the home screen and accessing sound controls there. I liked being able to mute my S4 with power button because it was quick and easy, and I miss this on my S6 now. Any ideas, or has anyone experienced a similar issue? Thank you for any assistance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is your phone on Marshmallow? If so, it may be that Marshmallow changed those options, and what you had read pertained to Lollipop.

mujibyepi

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
My S4 ran Android version 4.4.2 (Kit Kat, I believe) and my S6 runs Android version 5.1.1 (Lollipop). I use Page Plus Cellular as my carrier, so this is the latest update available to me apparently. Maybe version 5.1.1 does not have the mute/vibrate options available through the power button?

mujibyepi

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, yes, I know about this option and it is ok, but what I don't like about it compared to the power button access is that the screen must first be unlocked to use the volume down button to mute the ringer. On my S4, I was able to mute the phone through the power button without unlocking the screen, so it was very convenient and quick, such as times I was in a movie and had forgotten at first to mute it.

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Okay. How about this.

When your screen is locked , just pull down the menu on the top of the screen and tap the Sound Icon to set to mute.

Posted via the Android Central App

mujibyepi

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
Okay. How about this.

When your screen is locked , just pull down the menu on the top of the screen and tap the Sound Icon to set to mute.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oh, that's perfect - thanks so much. That's exactly what I was looking for. I feel a little silly, although I did try this when the screen was locked at one point and I think I just didn't do it right, the menu did not pull down for me, and I figured you could not do it when the screen was locked. But I just did it, and yes, this works perfectly. Thank you, thank you!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan