I can't fix my battery drainage, what's the problem?

cherrycrush94

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello,

I tried to find a solution for my problem, yet it seems like nothing really helps. I cleared my cache some time ago, due to another problem I had with my Samsung Galaxy S6, and since then, it seems like my battery went crazy. I've tried to clean the cache, disable almost all of the running services like Google Services, OneDrive synchronises only when charging, location is off almost all the time unless I use GPS, Wi-Fi is on only when the phone is awake, disabling/uninstalling everything that I don't use, disabling most of the programs that ran with the startup, disabling all the automatic updates (unless charging), disabling almost all of the sync, except my emails, calibrating the battery twice... It seems like the solution lasts only one battery charge, and the next one, it takes unbelievable amounts of battery. Android System tends to get around 50% or more of all the battery, and I have no idea what else should I disable, in order to make that usage less. Two examples from yesterday and today:

Yesterday: Disconnected my phone before I went to sleep; slept from 1 am until 10am, which consumed around 30% just by standby. Used it a bit, started working from 2 pm until 9 pm, my phone was on Airplane mode almost all the time during these hours - when I went to work, I had around 40%, to find it with only 9% battery left when I finished. As you can see, I almost haven't used my phone at all, with Android System taking 49%, followed by Android OS with 27%

Links: http://i.imgur.com/Mdzayhy.png, http://i.imgur.com/ACCwM9H.png

Today: Charged my phone and disconnected it before I went to bed yesterday (went to bed around 1:30-2am, woke up at 10am), seeing that I have only 60% battery left, and I fell asleep with 95%. Unsurprisingly, Android System takes 68% this time; what surprised me was that it says it stayed awake for more than 8 hours, when in fact I wasn't using it, and didn't even receive a single notification/email/message while I was sleeping.

Links: http://i.imgur.com/dg6TK55.png, http://i.imgur.com/0CpHsQJ.png

Does anyone had this problem before, and is there a solution? I'm not a heavy user, I usually play a few games now and then, browse the internet and listen to the music when I'm driving, so nothing excessive... I don't want to do a factory reset, but it seems like something is really wrong with it - all improvements I try to make last only one battery charge; since I got this phone last September, I almost always have fully charged/discharged the battery (and by fully I mean putting it to charge with less or equal to 5% battery, almost never let it shut down itself), and I have all that drainage that I can't find a solution too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cherrycrush94

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the suggestion - I downloaded that app, but unfortunately, since it seems like it's a Kernel problem, my phone still doesn't go to sleep, so no matter how many battery saving things I try, it still stays the same. It seems like I either have to root it and put it into sleep manually (but a root is not available for this version yet, or at least I couldn't find it), or do a factory reset, which I don't know whether it'll help, because a Marshmallow update a few weeks ago caused all the problems I had with both flashing screen when used on higher brightness, and the battery drainage. It does that even on Airplane mode, so I don't believe it's a single app causing it, and I killed most of them anyway.

cherrycrush94

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind for the next time - as for my problem (in case someone else has something similar), I resolved it by force downloading a new software update (strange that I had to do it manually, it usually downloads itself), replacing the update that caused the problems I had; now my battery could last more than day and a half.

edit: it seems like that was a solution for only one battery charge again, so I'll keep trying to solve that issue.

Last edited:

cherrycrush94

May 26, 2016
Visit site
Reinstalling Google Services helped only for one battery charge again.

BUT I found a solution, in case someone else has problems with the deep sleep. It seems like it's a bug of the Google backup, which tries to backup while on battery and holds the device awake preventing it from sleeping (don't have wakelock as my device is not rooted, but after some research it turned out it's a known Marshmallow bug and the reason for my problem as well). The simplest solution is to disable it (Settings -> Back up and reset -> Back up my data - set it to off), restart the device and turn it on again, and it should be fine even after the device is unplugged from the charger.