S6 bricked shows up as modem device?

jobetobe

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site
s6 bricked shows up as modem device

I rooted my s6 a couple months ago and it bricked recently. I can only connect via download mode and it shows up as "SAMSUNG USB mobile modem". I know there's an option to change it through the dialer code but as of now, I can only get into the download screen to get my PC to recognize it as connected.

was wondering if there was a fix? or would I just have to bring it in? KNOX tripped so bringing it back to manufacturer isn't possible but I can still bring it to a repair store and hope for the best.

Troubleshooting already done
- uninstalled and redownloaded samsung drivers (though i still have all the kies and smart switch)

- windows update

- adb drivers ( didn't even recognize the ADB interface in device manager, also says device (null) not found when I try adb reboot or adb reboot recovery)

Last edited:

mehigh101

Jul 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: s6 bricked shows up as modem device

Welcome to Android Central!
Install Samsung Drivers and then unplug the device - and plug it back.
Best regards,Mikey. For any more questions,PM me. I hope you found what you were looking for.
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

When you say you have tried flashing different firmware, that's kind of worrying. What FW was it running ie what version, for what exact variant? Was this a branded device, if so whose and for which region? Although you didn't answer post 2 I am assuming Odin can see the device. Please confirm.

jobetobe

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

When you say you have tried flashing different firmware, that's kind of worrying. What FW was it running ie what version, for what exact variant? Was this a branded device, if so whose and for which region? Although you didn't answer post 2 I am assuming Odin can see the device. Please confirm.

Sorry, yes, I mean't to click quote. I was running 6.0 for sm-g9208 i'm assuming it is a china or taiwan variant. ( it's china but i'm told china doesn't have a market so it might be taiwan because I had the market)

-I originally rooted like 4+ months ago with CF auto root but it just recently boot locked.

-attempted to flash twrp to get into recovery mode as it was not working when I pressed Vol up, home, and power.

I tried stock firmware afterwards but it said "recovery is not seandroid enforcing" so I assumed it was the wrong firmware or something. From then I just started flashing random firmwares because none of them were working, I just got stuck with the galaxy s6 logo. I'm not 100% sure now what my build, I thought I did when flashing stock but apparently it wasn't, I've tried all the china models but I can try again if that would help.

jobetobe

Jul 19, 2016
Visit site

OK Seandroid etc appears usually when the wrong version of cf auto root is used. In download mode and using Odin flash this https://samsung-firmware.org/download/Galaxy S6/62i5/BRI/G9208ZTS2DPF3/G9208ZZT2DPF3/
This is Taiwanese Android 6.01. Generally, you can't go back.

Best of luck, pls report back. I have my fingers crossed

<ID:0/003> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/003> sboot.bin
<ID:0/003> cm.bin
<ID:0/003> boot.img
<ID:0/003> recovery.img
<ID:0/003> system.img
<ID:0/003> cache.img
<ID:0/003> modem.bin
<ID:0/003> RQT_CLOSE !!
<ID:0/003> RES OK !!
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Remain Port .... 0
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

Is there something wrong here? It says succeed but it didn't work, this has happened with all the firmwares i've tried

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
OK
Reboot pc
Turn off phone
Connect phone to pc
Press power, volume down and home
Open Odin and press volume up
Odin should display "added"
Flash rom again factory reset as hopefully recovery is now accessible

Members online