Galaxy S6 battery drain.

arfrederick25

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Ok. So I know that the S6's battery life isn't all that great, but the battery life on my S6 has been has made it almost useless. I just wanted to see how bad it actually was. So before I went to sleep last night, I charged my phone to 100%, the right before I went to sleep I unplugged it. When I woke up the phone bad dropped 46% without being touched. I checked what had used the most battery, Android OS 45% / Android system 12% / Phone Idle 11% / Cell Standby 9% / Screen 6% (with only 17 min screen on time) / Wi-Fi 5% / Google App 4% / Google Services 3%. So I have no idea what to do. Obviously I've restarted my phone, and I don't have a ton of apps or anything on my phone, so I have idea what would be causing android system to use the most battery, if someone could help me out that'd be great. Any answers are appreciated! :)

waqqas31

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok. So I know that the S6's battery life isn't all that great, but the battery life on my S6 has been has made it almost useless. I just wanted to see how bad it actually was. So before I went to sleep last night, I charged my phone to 100%, the right before I went to sleep I unplugged it. When I woke up the phone bad dropped 46% without being touched. I checked what had used the most battery, Android OS 45% / Android system 12% / Phone Idle 11% / Cell Standby 9% / Screen 6% (with only 17 min screen on time) / Wi-Fi 5% / Google App 4% / Google Services 3%. So I have no idea what to do. Obviously I've restarted my phone, and I don't have a ton of apps or anything on my phone, so I have idea what would be causing android system to use the most battery, if someone could help me out that'd be great. Any answers are appreciated! :)

You're not alone. I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms with the exact same culprits. God knows what that Android OS is up to in the middle of the night!

SubhashishDash

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Hey arfrederick25....Welcome to Android Central Forums.....truly its very frustrating when your device dries up so quickly...I faced the same issue with a HTC phone..having it used for a while and then couldn't make a use of it wasn't making a lot of difference than not having it at all.....I had to keep a basic retro backup phone with the keypads...that was really of better use during those times...

Unfortunately the battery management and specifically the memory management stand really poor..

I am specifying some workarounds ….hope it would help you a bit…

-Factory Reset the Galaxy S6..

WARNING--AFTER BACKING UP ALL YOUR DATA FOR SURE…!!(As this might give us a clean and fresh head start) A hard rest is recommended..

HOW TO..?? (JUST IF YOU DON’T KNOW)

1-First, turn off the phone by using the Power button.
2-Now press and hold together: Volume Up + Home + Power button, until you see Samsung logo.
3-Then select from Recovery Mode menu "wipe data / factory reset" using Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to confirm.
4. Choose "Yes -- delete all user data" to confirm the whole operation.
5. After that select option "reboot system now".

Now some other ways to enhance battery life..!!

-Disable or uninstall any app you aren’t using regularly as it’s a good idea for general performance and increased battery life

-Facebook and Facebook Messenger are known memory hogs. If you can live without them, it will probably make a discernible difference…ifff…!!

-Use a different launcher. TouchWiz is okay.. but it can still be pretty demanding. The Google Now Launcher or the Nova Launcher might help.
-The 2,550mAh-rated battery in the Galaxy S6 is not the biggest battery out there .The phone is quick to charge, but quick to drain as well, and not making it through the day without re-juicing it. The fact that there’s no removable battery makes this worse.

-If you think an app is draining more battery life than it should be, try reinstalling it to see if that corrects the issue. If the problem persists, try uninstalling it to see if was really effecting your overall Galaxy S6 battery life.
-If you can’t figure out which app might be causing trouble, you’ll want to boot the Galaxy S6 into Safe Mode in an effort to single out potential troublemakers. Booting the device into Safe Mode disables third-party apps and allows you to isolate apps that could be causing the problems.
-Restart the Samsung Galaxy S6
-Disable Unnecessary Services both background and at start up…
-Turn off radio communications when not needed:
Disabling features when they aren’t in use tends to have a positive impact on overall battery life. Shutting off Wi-Fi connectivity , Bluetooth , NFC , GPS , and cellular data when you don’t need it.- Poor cellular coverage is often to blame for bad Android battery life. When your phone needs to search hard for a signal, it runs the battery down faster. Keep that in mind when you’re in spotty areas. You may need to turn on Airplane mode when there isn’t a strong 4G or LTE signal in the area.
-Start Using a Black Wallpaper as AMOLED screen would help you gradually in reproducing less colour and hence less battery sucking. Live Wallpapers and very colourful wallpapers must be avoided ..if battery is the concern.

-If you head into the device’s Settings and slide on over to System and then Battery, at the top you’ll notice two features. One is called Power saving mode. The other is called Ultra power saving mode as during some times when cell not needed in hand we can save some juice again.

- Google Play Services battery drain
Some users have reported that Google Play Services drains their Galaxy S6 battery quite a lot.
Go to Settings > Data Usage
Scroll down to see the list of apps
Press on Google Play Store
Switch Toggle to Restrict background data
Repeat step 3 and 4 for Google Play Services
Hard-restart your Galaxy S (not to be confused with hard-reset) by holding the volume-down and power buttons and release once the device turns itself off
Re-enable background data for Google Play Store and Google Play Services

-Fix Cell Standby drain by disabling VoLTE

-Disable Google Now and “OK Google” detection
If you’re not really using Google Now and voice commands, this quick fix will add a little – Disable location services:
We don’t necessarily need the location services unless we are using maps or any other app using the location. It’s easier to enable location when you are using any such apps. Consider turning it off otherwise to increase the battery life. Go to quick Settings and disable location services.
– Battery charge cycle:
It is recommended to let your device go through at least one charge cycle a month: i.e. charging the battery to 100% and then completely using it down. Power cycling this way helps in getting accurate battery usage data and is good for your battery maintenance too
-Fix Galaxy S6 battery by disabling notifications:
Receiving notifications for every single app is not only annoying but also eats up resources of both data, battery and the processing speed. Make efficient use of notifications and disable them for apps you don’t require notifications for.

--REGARDS

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
You could also try the "simulated" battery pull on the S6.

With the phone on, hold power and volume down buttons in until the phone shuts down and restart. It takes at least 30 to 40 senconds before shutting down.

SubhashishDash

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
yeah..i believe that's the hard restart thing.....!!

please guys....#those facing this issue .@arfrederick25 @waqqas31... let us know if it helps and how much..for this specific device..for I don't have this device...!! and want to know how effective are these ..practically ...!!
Thanks other members for the helping hands...!! =) ..peace..

SubhashishDash

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
SOME BASIC STEPS FOR ALL ANDROID PHONES…

1. Check which apps are draining your battery..

2. Uninstall apps which are not in use…also the data created by it

**3. Never manually close apps..
Despite the popularity of task-killer apps for Android, manually closing running apps doesn't help battery life, a myth recently debunked by both Apple and Google. In fact, closing an app can even very slightly damage battery , if the phone system or the user requires it to run again .reloading really takes a toll on battery..

4. Remove unnecessary widgets from the home screen.

5. Turn on Airplane Mode in low-signal areas..as smartphones use more power to regain cellular network.
At such places it is preferable to connect to wireless networks as Your phone uses less energy to connect to wireless than cellular networks, while Wi-Fi also helps phones determine location – handy for paring back the need for power-hungry GPS.

6.Turn off notifications
Getting real-time updates of what's going on in your apps is handy for things like email or social networks, but many apps automatically demand permission to send notifications as well for reasons that are much less useful. Turn off notifications by heading to Settings > Apps, then visiting less necessary apps and unchecking “Show notifications.”

7. Turn off GPS when not in use
GPS is one of the heaviest drains on the battery –

Alternately, if you're using apps that require your location, you can head to Settings > Location > Mode and select “Battery saving” (where Wi-Fi and mobile networks are used to determine your location) over “High accuracy” (where GPS is also used).

8.Hard rest device(DO NOT CONFUSE WITH HARD RESET) if it becomes.. TOO HOT TO HAND by holding the volume-down and power buttons and release once the device turns itself off)

9. Check app location tracking
Some apps track your location and use more battery power than needed by accessing your GPS. At Settings > Location you can see which apps recently requested your location, as well as how much (low/high) battery it took. For apps that seem to be demanding more than necessary, head into the apps and manually adjust the permissions individually.

10. Enable Power Saver Mode during times when device not needed..

11. Dim the screen brightness and till you are comfortable...

12. Decrease screen timeout

13. Stop vibrations ... haptic feedbacks..!! ..ringing vibrations etc...!!

14. Keep weather updates for local..if not necessary of other cities ..remove them...extend the sync duration....!!

15. Keep your phone cool...a handy thumb rule.....!! don't let it reach the high levels..avoid using it for a while..!!till it cools down...high temperature = high battery drainage

16. Charge between 40% and 80%
The best way to maintain smartphone batteries is to keep your phone battery more than 40% charged. Constantly allowing the battery to go from completely full to completely empty can damage it and decrease its capacity over time. On the flip side, leaving your phone plugged in when it's completely full can also degrade the battery. Best practice? Keep your battery between 40% and 80% charged.

17. Occasionally let your battery die..

Battery calibration – fully discharging then recharging your phone's battery – once every three months helps it maintain its charge capacity.

18. Always download updates for installed apps and the Android OS itself if available for they are optimised ,include bug fixes,improved for performance and probably battery efficient..

Matthias De Blaiser

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
So in other words, turn your smartphone into a dumbphone ??
A phone of this caliber simply should not eat this much battery... all of the measures you're mentioning are mere bandaids and they do not solve the problem whatsoever

Matthias De Blaiser

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
By the way I'm having the exact same problem. I'm barely getting 1 hour of screen on time, and this is without any heavy use. No streaming, no gaming, no heavy apps... just Whatsapp and Chrome

I've tried everything...
hard reset
hard reset and install as new device
hard reset and install as new device without installing ANY new app...

All with the same appalling battery life as a result

Screenshot_20160818-192105.jpg

Screenshot_20160818-192112.jpg

Screenshot_20160818-192121.jpg

SubhashishDash

Jul 10, 2016
Visit site
Sorry Matthias ..... these steps are basic workarounds....!! These include preventions and cares....and prevention is always better than care...!!
every Battery degrades with time..that's quiet scientific...!!
Now it’s Partially dependent on the user ..how fast his device is reaching the saturation …when the battery give ups at a point down the years…!! Depends how the user is interacting with his device…!! And also Depends whether he is a heavy user/casual user….!!
And the charging - discharging cycles and time at which the device is being charged…!!
Healthy charging habits and healthy temperature maintenance results healthy long lasting battery life….If not so… then the battery efficiency degrades with time…!!...which might be real quick or real long..!!

All these factors conclude the variable battery life with different users…it’s not constant with every user…say you use your S6 just for calls and mild browsing for couple of minutes..
while your friend with S6 uses it for heavy gaming and 4G network downloads..
while you both interact with the cellphone for 1 hour (say) throughout the day….but still your friend’s S6 would be having half as juice as yours..even though you both having the same screen on time shown..!!
Ya I believe that the S6 has lots of caliber …and it had the best of the specs back then in 2015..but it’s a good ship with a hole in it.. a bit bad battery life…!! ..a smaller battery as well…

taking consideration of the almost doubled screen resolution of its predecessor …
the QHD screen of 1440 x 2560 px and the 577 ppi on S6 is really a killer display but it also kills a lot of power out of the battery..!!
This was the main reason why S6 didn’t scored as expected….!! ….on battery benchmarks and a device as a whole…!!

And again it was octa – core…!! (all 64 bit capable processor-cores )..
Say thanx as it was Exynos 7420 ,14nm fabrication process over the Snapdragon 810 on 20nm, which reduced power usage….else things would have been more worse..thermal throttling stuff….!! Its just that they were first gen processors..so as compared to now..they seem less optimized to battery usage…!!

Brother ..its a good device ..No where near to a dumb phone…except .it’s got that loophole of lesser battery compared to it’s capability….!!.......rather than Questioning me.. Asking Samsung would be better…if they open their ears now..!!

But if you feel your battery is really pathetic…I believe it’s an issue with the specific battery itself…FOR SURE, CALL SAMSUNG SUPPORT…AND GET IT REPLACED SOMEHOW….!!
somewhere I read it would cost around $45..but its been a while I got that information…please recheck...!!

This was the best I could have done…..!!
take care…. #PEACE…!!

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Android OS, google play service seems to drain more battery since i got the july security patch and got worse when i got the august security patch. Lets just hope samsung will fix it on the september security patch.

Posted with ❤Love❤

eggstavian01

Jan 19, 2017
Visit site
You're not alone. I'm experiencing the exact same symptoms with the exact same culprits. God knows what that Android OS is up to in the middle of the night!

I Ave a samsung s6 and I went to bed 12:00 pm I woke 5:30 am the battery is dead after leaving it on 30% plug it in on 0% as soon as I turn it on it's on 60 % y is that

Last edited by a moderator:

Nellie Daffron

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem. It says my screen is using 37%. I have set the brightness down to nothing. I can't even see my screen in the sunlight. I can charge my S6 and by 8 am it is down to 80% and I haven't used the phone. I finally got angry and put a new battery in it (yes, it can be done). Still does the exact same thing. Must be bad OS or bad motherboard or something. I put it in safe mode, does the exact same thing. I have only the apps I must have and all health scans says my phone is 100% healthy. I have wiped it once and that made no difference so I'm not inclined to do it again. The phone is 16 months old. Does anybody have a real fix or do we just have to go buy another $700 phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. It says my screen is using 37%. I have set the brightness down to nothing. I can't even see my screen in the sunlight. I can charge my S6 and by 8 am it is down to 80% and I haven't used the phone. I finally got angry and put a new battery in it (yes, it can be done). Still does the exact same thing. Must be bad OS or bad motherboard or something. I put it in safe mode, does the exact same thing. I have only the apps I must have and all health scans says my phone is 100% healthy. I have wiped it once and that made no difference so I'm not inclined to do it again. The phone is 16 months old. Does anybody have a real fix or do we just have to go buy another $700 phone?

Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

notional

Nov 26, 2013
plus.google.com
I'm having the same issues. Just suddenly started about a week ago. Right now, the phone has been off the charger for 10 minutes and it's at 80%. Here's a screenshot now. I'll try one at 30%
d4ef52493a49e86cfda4e3b313961a12.jpg

SteelSterling

Apr 10, 2017
Visit site
Has there ever been a satisfactory answer to the horrid battery of the Galaxy S6? I mean other than turning off Bluetooth, wifi, sound, uninstalling apps, restricting data, basically turning it into a $600 housephone? I have to keep a charger at home and work. I have it charged to near 100% when I go to sleep and when I wake up, it's at 73%. I checked battery usage and 45% was the android OS. Nothing else came near. The only apps I have are Bitmoji which I rarely use and McAfee Security which I got free via my cable service. I restrict background data for everything else.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Has there ever been a satisfactory answer to the horrid battery of the Galaxy S6? I mean other than turning off Bluetooth, wifi, sound, uninstalling apps, restricting data, basically turning it into a $600 housephone? I have to keep a charger at home and work. I have it charged to near 100% when I go to sleep and when I wake up, it's at 73%. I checked battery usage and 45% was the android OS. Nothing else came near. The only apps I have are Bitmoji which I rarely use and McAfee Security which I got free via my cable service. I restrict background data for everything else.

I had a new battery put in and it's surprisingly improved. But not by much, I still have to charge by the time I get home. (6am to 4pm) The one thing I've consistently seen is that Android OS & Google Play Services is at the top of my list all the time. I'm starting to think it's just the OS itself. So I'm hoping soon that Android Nougat will come to my device and fix these issues. This is a brand new battery and my brightness never goes above 25%. I'm a light to medium user.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781