Dropped Phone in Lake!!!! =(

sarapoep

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
So, after 9 months, it happened. I dropped my phone in a lake this afternoon. It was under water for approximately 8 seconds. I grabbed it, wrapped it in a towel and left it alone. Then when I finally got to my car, I attempted to start it, it wouldn't turn on. I tried plugging it in to charge ( yes I know NOW big mistake ) and it buzzed like it was charging, but again, did not turn on. Now, 2 hours after initial contact, I have it in rice. I'm trying to leave it alone, but like most people I am attached to my phone. I'm fighting the urge to go down to verizon and have my old LGG2 hooked back up just so I have SOMETHING.

Anyway, I do have insurance. How does that work? Will they give me a new S6? Is it a refurbished? I just want to know what I can expect? That is, of course, if the rice thing doesn't work, but I am hoping it does. If it doesn't, am I better off spending the extra $300 ( what is left in the contract plan ) and just upgrading? Though, if I'm guaranteed a new phone under insurance, I would probably go that route.

Are my pictures done? Gone? And anything else I didn't save? If it doesn't turn back on?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So, after 9 months, it happened. I dropped my phone in a lake this afternoon. It was under water for approximately 8 seconds. I grabbed it, wrapped it in a towel and left it alone. Then when I finally got to my car, I attempted to start it, it wouldn't turn on. I tried plugging it in to charge ( yes I know NOW big mistake ) and it buzzed like it was charging, but again, did not turn on. Now, 2 hours after initial contact, I have it in rice. I'm trying to leave it alone, but like most people I am attached to my phone. I'm fighting the urge to go down to verizon and have my old LGG2 hooked back up just so I have SOMETHING.

Anyway, I do have insurance. How does that work? Will they give me a new S6? Is it a refurbished? I just want to know what I can expect? That is, of course, if the rice thing doesn't work, but I am hoping it does. If it doesn't, am I better off spending the extra $300 ( what is left in the contract plan ) and just upgrading? Though, if I'm guaranteed a new phone under insurance, I would probably go that route.

Are my pictures done? Gone? And anything else I didn't save? If it doesn't turn back on?

Well with insurance you would get a refurbished, if they have any left. There have been two releases since your phone. It is very likely they would give you an S6 Plus or possibly an S7.

If your pictures weren't synced to Google Photos or Google Drive, if the phone is dead they are gone.

sarapoep

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Well with insurance you would get a refurbished, if they have any left. There have been two releases since your phone. It is very likely they would give you an S6 Plus or possibly an S7.

If your pictures weren't synced to Google Photos or Google Drive, if the phone is dead they are gone.

oh wow, they would give me a refurbished S7 perhaps? I'm so sad about the pics though. The ones I was taking in the lake weren't backed up cause I have it set to back them up on wifi only. :'(

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've seen insurance companies give the next phone before when you are looking at a two year old phone. I've seen them do it with less than a two year old phone. I've seen people that had a Note 4 get a Note 5 for the replacement.

You should call them and see what they tell you.