S6 Active won't charge with cable

gnarfle

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
My S6 Active will only charge wirelessly anymore, if I plug a cable in it does nada. This could be because last week I spilled some wine on it while it was plugged in charging? It doesn't seem like any liquid would have been able to work it's way into the charging port though. But since the phone is otherwise waterproof that's all I can think, maybe if wine got in there while it was actively charging that shorted something out? I'm not sure if that actually lines up with when this started though, because I almost always use wireless charging and only plug it in when I need a mid-day fast charge (which isn't often) so it's been a while since I tried to last plug it in.

Anyway, anything I can try? I still have 6 weeks of warranty left too, think they would cover it? Even if it was a spill the phone is waterproof (hell I've gone swimming with it before) so seems like a spill is not an excuse for it failing...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
With the cable plugged in, the phone is no longer water-resistant (it's never waterproof - and there's a big difference between "resistant" and "proof").

I suspect that wine got into the phone and, considering all the things in wine, the phone's a goner by now. Read Oh, no! My Phone got Wet!. If you're very lucky and only the charging port got damaged, a replacement part (a PC board with the port on it and a cable to connect it to the phone) is less than $10. (Having it swapped - and I don't suggest that you try to do it yourself - will cost a bit on top of that - but you won't have to replace the phone.)

As for the warranty, surprise! Most "water resistant" phones' warranties do not cover water damage (but read yours to be sure). If the phone were waterproof they would.

gnarfle

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It's IP68 rated which is pretty close to waterproof... I've gotten it wet a lot of times in my life with no problems before, I just don't know how it being plugged in at the time changes that.

But if it's a cheap part that's good, I know a local shop that I trust who can do that kind of thing if I have to. I figure it's worth trying the warranty though, my hope is that since it's waterproof there aren't moisture sensors that would have been tripped by this (after all they'd be tripped anytime you dunk it in water) so they wouldn't be able to detect that it was due to water. Seems like it's worth a shot. If they reject it I can just see about fixing it on my own. It charges fine via QI though so I can always just go that route too.