Can't optimize gmail text by double tapping anymore

sctiger

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I used to be able to double tap text in a Gmail message and it would zoom in and reformat it to fit the screen. But now I can't get it to work anymore. Some email messages I get aren't optimized for a mobile device and is really hard to read without this feature. The Inbox app seems to have it right, but I prefer the gmail app.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm using GMail on a straight Android phone (Google Pixel XL), so this may not be the same but I doubt any big difference.

Open GMail, tap the hamburger menu at top-left, tap Settings, tap General settings. Put a check mark in "Auto-fit messages"

Problem solved.

sctiger

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I have that setting selected. That works to fit a page designed for a PC on to my phone. But the text is so tiny. I used to be able to double tap the text and it was enlarged and repositioned to all fit on the screen.

seamus517

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having this exact same problem and it's very frustrating. This used to work perfectly in Gmail
5.5.101804505 (let me know if you need the .apk) but was as you mention was removed in an update.

I have found that turning the phone sideways gives Gmail more horizontal real estate to work with and can sometimes help a little, but is very inconvenient.

If you use the submit feedback in the app that is supposed to go directly to the engineers, and I plan on sending them a request to have that feature reactivated in a future version.

seamus517

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Through a little (ok, a lot) of trial and error I've determined that that last version that allows double tap to zoom is 6.10.23.137993986

Available at your friendly neighborhood APK download website.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude