Microphone problem in speaker mode

Dalixam

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

First off, I know there are a lot a lot of posts around the internet related to microphone problems, but I have been unable to find any that matches my problem exactly, so I'll try with this thread.

My problem is that when on a phone call and I put it on speaker mode, people can barely hear me and I have to scream to carry on the conversation. If I put it on speaker in something like WhatsApp people can't hear me at all. The same goes for video chat in WhatsApp or Duo. I have to wear my headset with a mic to have a video chat.

Now, this is where it gets weird and where my problem differs from other's: When I do a voice search it has no problem hearing me (or Google is really good at guessing).

Also, when I want to wake-up the phone I have to scream *ok, Google* or *hi galaxy* 50 times before it maybe wakes up, but once alive, it has no problem understanding every command.

The sound is fine when recording video or using a voice recorder.

I tried calling myself with Skype on my desktop (I called my phone's actual number) and when I put my phone on speaker I had no problem hearing it on my desktop.

My phone is a little over a year old and this has always been a problem. I tried safe mode, but it didn't help. I'd like to avoid a factory reset when I don't know of it'll help.

Anyone have any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you record a video, listen to it with headphones -- is the stereo sound balanced, or does it heavily favor one side? If the latter, then your secondary mic might be blocked or clogged by debris. It may be that the apps or functions that seem to work fine are relying on the primary mic (at the bottom of the phone), while the ones that aren't working well are relying on the secondary mic (at the top of the phone).

Dalixam

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for the answer and for the greeting. I'm sorry for the late reply, Christmas is a busy time :)

I tried what you suggested and with the first video I played it certainly favoured the right ear, there was no sound at all in the left. Then i tried a second older video and there seem to be no problem, left ear it's fine.

If the secondary mic it's clogged somehow, how do I fix it? Can I do it myself or do I need to turn it in for repair?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC