Settings menu bug/issue (can't scroll)

bjornsjob

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

I have encountered a very frustrating problem which I ran into yesterday after updating my device with the latest security patch from Samsung (SMR-FEB-2017). Not sure if thats the root cause, but it didn't occur before the update. Now to the issue:

Entering the settings menu causes the screen to 'scroll' down to the bottom of the menu, and you can't scroll up. It continously falls down to the bottom when swiping upwards. Entering a submenu - same behaviour. If you want to do a search within the menu you'll have to continously click on the search field (10x times) until you can write anything.

So far this is only related to the settings menu and submenus within. I've tried other apps but no problem there. Latest app installed was about 2w ago and I don't recall doing any changes to the device except the security update.

I've (so far):
- Rebooted the device.
- Switched themes.
- Tried different approaches in the settings menu.

Not yet tried to restore to earlier settings (because I can't reach the menu option because of the bug(?)..).

Anyone else who has encountered this?

bjornsjob

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's another short thread about it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...tomatically-bottom-list-can-t-access-top.html. It seemed to go away after booting into Safe Mode, then back into normal mode. Try it on your phone: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-29226

Thanks a lot! Booting in safe mode and scrap some unessesary apps did the trick. Not sure if it was app related (and I will probably never know if it was) but that doesn't matter now I guess.. 🙂

DarcSystems

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Hi!

I have encountered a very frustrating problem which I ran into yesterday after updating my device with the latest security patch from Samsung (SMR-FEB-2017). Not sure if thats the root cause, but it didn't occur before the update. Now to the issue:

Entering the settings menu causes the screen to 'scroll' down to the bottom of the menu, and you can't scroll up. It continously falls down to the bottom when swiping upwards. Entering a submenu - same behaviour. If you want to do a search within the menu you'll have to continously click on the search field (10x times) until you can write anything.

So far this is only related to the settings menu and submenus within. I've tried other apps but no problem there. Latest app installed was about 2w ago and I don't recall doing any changes to the device except the security update.

I've (so far):
- Rebooted the device.
- Switched themes.
- Tried different approaches in the settings menu.

Not yet tried to restore to earlier settings (because I can't reach the menu option because of the bug(?)..).

Anyone else who has encountered this?

Exact same thing happening to me. S5 Sport on sprint.

obri

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site
Having played with this further I have been able to recreate the problem.

An easier/quicker way of fixing this problem is to go to Tab view/using the spen hold it to the left tab Personalise and tap it until that screen stays in place/now go to Accessibility and scroll down to Services/ Turn off App Cache Cleaner.

This should fix the menu locking problem.

I then went to Smart Manager and used it manually without a problem.

If you cant trick it to move in Tab View you will have to re start your device in Safe Mode to access Personalisation/Accessibility/Services

Last edited:

Fakazi123

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There's another short thread about it here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...tomatically-bottom-list-can-t-access-top.html. It seemed to go away after booting into Safe Mode, then back into normal mode. Try it on your phone: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-29226

Thank very much my good sir. I had a same problem of the settings menu and its submenus scrolling down continuously on its own. All I did was to boot my galaxy J7 into safe mode and...voila it was fixed. Thank so much.

pbug56

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Just started happening to me; I'd done the recent security update on the S8+ I picked up Saturday. Have not done it for my wife and she does not have the problem. ALSO, the GMAIL shortcut no longer shows UNREAD count. Thanks Samsung!

pbug56

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Fixed the settings broken problem I had! Fantastic! Now I can do the software update on my wife's S8+ also and if the Settings problem hits I know what to do. Now, if only I could figure out a fix for the GMAIL inbox count having disappeared from the GMAIL shortcut. Thanks!

Andrew Jackson7

Aug 28, 2017
Visit site
Yes the issue is that specific app. If u don't want to do a reset or any other irritating route. Then just buy the LG package disable pro for. ( .99) and disable it and all the annoying bloat WARE. :D

BeachKlas

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
Thanks! App cache cleaner was the culprit for me too, but it only began after I had been into safe mode. Going back into safe mode and back to normal mode didnt help.