Why does my Galaxy S6 (unlocked AT&T using T-Mobile as carrier) freeze and reboot?

A

AC Question

I have a 3 month old factory unlocked AT&T S6, which about a week ago started freezing and/or rebooting itself every minute or two. I've tried a ton of the suggestions in the forums (wiping partition, factory reset), HOWEVER my phone reboots or freezes so quickly that it never allows those things to happen when I click them.

This started happening in the middle of the night while connected to my WIFI at home, so my current thought is that the phone tried to do a software update and is now messed up because it tried to install a T-Mobile update on an AT&T phone (or vice versa). I don't know if that would be the cause, so I am hoping someone can help shed some light on this issue.

If you want any more info I'd be happy to provide it.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
The software update is dependent on the model of the device.
So its doubtful an ATT phone would try to download TMO phone software.

jeffarey

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
luclanus: I have tried that a few times and the phone froze before I could get to the recovery mode menu each time. The furthest I got was to select wipe partition cache and it said "Formatting cache..." So I let it sit for 5 hours until I realized it had frozen again. Same thing happened with factory resetting... while it is in the midst of resetting the device to factory settings, it reboots and starts over. It's a never-ending loop.

PS i am the OP

jeffarey

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
IAmSixNine: Since it's dependent on the model, wouldn't the T-Mobile software update encounter a problem when trying to run on an AT&T device (even if it is unlocked)?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unlocking the device only affects sim card / network access. The device model number defines what it is. Its still an ATT phone above all. The phone would not try to run a TMO update since its an ATT phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800